swimming pool alarm

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pendle

swimming pool alarm

Post by pendle »

Our old pool alarm has just given up the ghost. We need a new one asap under French regs.Any font of knowledge out there who can tell me what I need and make a recommendation where to buy
Thanks
Pendle
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Pendle,
I've been using the Aqualarm for the last couple of years, it is very easy to use and not too expensive, I bought it on line here:-
http://www.piscines-online.com/alarme-s ... scine.html

It works and doesn't go off unnecessarily whenever the wind blows!
pendle

pool alarm

Post by pendle »

Thanks LV will have a look
Pendle
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I have just bought, but not yet used a Dolphin Aquasonic. I'm not sure if it would met your regulations as it's not in constant use.

The child wears a wrist band and a the receiver floats in the pool. If the child falls in the alarm will sound.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, ours have just expired too ( installed whenever it was we all had to be " secure" )- ordered the Aqualarms mark 2 again. The old ones no longer conformed, the new ones do.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We bought two Sensor Solar alarms to cover our 12 x 6m pool in 2005 (these are also on LV's link).
Pluses:
Robust and reliable - still going in their fifth season.
Don't need batteries.
Minuses:
Expensive.
Cases have degraded in the sun from pristine white to what's best described as 'grubby butter' which can't be cleaned.
Sensitive to wind.

Jim
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We need to get a pool alarm. As far as I know it is not yet a requirement for private pools in Spain but for a rented villa with a private pool I can imagine it is a bit of a grey area.

We have been looking at the same one as BW - the main item plus the wristbands - and wondering if this sort of thing meets French norms (which will no doubt one day become European). We have also found a floating one which does not seem to require anyone to wear wristbands, which would be my preference as we would probably have to buy half a dozen of them (wrist bands, that is!)

Anyone know anything about them? And did you buy that one, BW?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Pepsipuss, these are the only alarms that conform to French law (BW's doesn't)

AQUALARM Modèle DET 10

POOLGUARD Modèle TERM 2

AQUASENSOR Modèle Sensor Premium

SECURIPOOL

l'AQUASENSOR Modèle Sensor Espio
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Thank you, LV. I feared that might be the case! We don't want to be pushed into spending loads of money unnecessarily but I don't see much point in investing in one that doesn't meet current legislation, even if we are not yet obliged to use them.

OH believes the floating ones look more practical though, especially as they are always as it were, at water level. How far down does the sensor go for example with AQUALARM, from the top of the pool?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Well you clearly won't be buying the same one as I have got, but if anyone else is thinking of buying one, I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

The first one we had went dead after a few days use. We sent it back and was told that there was a design faut with it and this would be rectified in February. This meant that we didn't have the use of it for the summer season.

Wellit didn't arrive in Feb but we eventually received it, only for it to develop problems with the first guest that used it.

We are currently awaiting a replacement.

I've now taken mention of it off my ads but it doesn't help that I'm having to tell guests that it is no longer available.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Do you have problems with the batteries in yours LV? Our starts beeping within days of putting new batteries in, as though they're dead but it still works. The plastic bit over the keypad has now perished and split, after just 3 years. Has yours done that?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
kas33

Post by kas33 »

Ours did exactly that, once we had replaced the original batteries. The code pad cover had also split open from the heat of the sun. We must have tried 2 dozen new batteries but it continued to beep intermittently like a smoke alarm that is running down, it was driving the guests potty.

It was still in the guarantee time but as we hadn't done the regular tests and logged them we couldn't claim.

We tried another make after that with a remote control but it was very unreliable and even less so after I left the remote out in a storm :oops: .

Now we have gone back to the style with the code pad as there are 2 gites plus us using it a magnetic key is not practical.

I would recommend this alarm despite the battery issue!