Professional PR

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Margaret

Professional PR

Post by Margaret »

I am not sure that this post fits here but I will hope for the best!

I have been writing my own press releases for years but now we have a story coming up, related to our holiday rentals, which is kind of a once in a lifetime chance for publicity and I know my efforts are not up to scratch. So is there anybody here who is a fully fledged professional who could help us (we would be willing to pay or offer free accommodation) or who knows a 'man or woman who can'. As you can see, I don't really need some kind help. I need someone who earns their living doing this kind of thing for real. It's like the difference between taking some snaps with a digital camera and getting Jimbo to do the real thing.

Any offers or ideas?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Have pm'd you about someone I know.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
olive

Post by olive »

Someone called Paolo De Paulis is a professional copywriter.
He writes very well.
I can give you his email if you like.

ps Back from 8 days in Paris and LMH is as surreal as ever.
Love it!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Yes Paolo's great.......this is his Forum!!

and we wouldnt be here without him[thanks Paolo]

Its actually 'Paolo De Paolis' Olive :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

olive wrote:
ps Back from 8 days in Paris and LMH is as surreal as ever.
Love it!
Am I missing something? What do you mean? :?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Sorry Paolo. Did not mean to tread on your toes but having begun my own career as a copy-writer, I have always regarded copywriting and PR as distinct areas of expertise. I recognise that most copywriters are capable of writing a press release, having done plenty of them myself, but if I were looking to do something really important I would have a PR expert do it for me as it is not just the writing which is important but the contacts and knowing how to get it into the media.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

olive

Post by olive »

"Am I missing something? "
I guess so. Probably surrealism. I've certainly had an enhanced view of it from reading LMH over the last couple of years.
Actually, LMH is a lot funnier than Dali.
olive

Post by olive »

Big S: well-done!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Margaret, I have PMed you. Pepsipuss, I agree, there is more to PR than being able to string words together.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
enid

Post by enid »

How exciting Margaret - keep us posted. I'd love to see wha ta professional comes up with.

Recently I had friends who have a very successful gite business in the Dordogne visit us. They were very impressed by what we offer here but they said they didn't realise how good it was from our website and that I wasn't selling it well. Although we have had a very good year they feel with better copy would get me more bookings more easily.

A press release is something else I realise - good luck I hope it brings you loads of business.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I am amazed Enid - I am green with envy - your website is beautiful and your writing is lovely!
enid

Post by enid »

Aw thanks Margaret - I'll perhaps ask others in the website section
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Margaret is right that, however much we try to do things for ourselves, there are times when only a professional will do. PR people come in many guises, with different areas of expertise; it's finding the right one for the specific needs of your project that makes the difference.

Margaret, when it's done and dusted, let us know how it worked out. It would be valuable guidance for anybody comtemplating something similar in the future.

Jim
Last edited by Jimbo on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

How exciting Margaret - keep us posted
Yes, please let us know how it pans out wont ya Margaret?...
and yes Enid does have a lovely website!! Well done E!! :)

Big S: well-done!
Thanks O: 8)
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Enid: I tend to regard the 'even better than expected' comments as very desirable - I much prefer to feel that I have undersold than oversold.

Your website tells a very good story and I can't really see much wrong with the copy, but a picture tells a thousand words and maybe it would help to have more pictures in the main pages and make them bigger, which would make it all feel less copy-heavy. There are some good images in the gallery but people need to be hooked in early to even want to go to the gallery. For example the biggest image on the 'Gîtes' page is the top left hand corner is of a bookcase and the ones on top left of the individual gîtes pages could do with being the exterior of the house. The books are relevant, indeed important (or would be for me) but they are not the thing that will hook people in to read further down the page.

Just first impressions - hope it is helpful.