Do follow up emails to enquiries generate bookings for you?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

MG, GG it was in a thread all about what information is sent out following an enquiry.
I'm useless at searching but it centred around how people responded to enquiries and most people on LMH being amazed at how much info MG sent out to his enquirers (myself included)

I had a good think about it though and wondered if sending out a sort of mini sales brochure via email night just help to keep my place in their memory a bit longer than someone elses.

I discussed it with a friend of mine (who also rents) and it turns out she also does something along those lines: info on the villa, village, a few extra photos etc.

With much more competition it's worth a thought about how an edge can be gained.

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh yes, I think I recall that post too Mouse. Thanks!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I used to do it but have taken to sending a link to my website (which has all the information) instead, as I find most people have not bothered to click through from listing sites to the website. I just do it by saying that if they would like more information and photos about the property and the area, they can find them on the website if they have not already visited.

It means I do not have to keep updating yet more stuff :roll: :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good point Peps...I don't have a website to direct them to (well I do but only a blog type thing) but my adverts are quite thorough.
My friend does. Interestingly though she finds the mini brochure is often printed and taken by guests to the property (she finds them when cleaning) but has yet to find anyone has printed website stuff.

I know for example that a week before people are due to arrive I get the usual questions: do I have to bring pool towels, does the village have a supermarket, do you have WiFi etc
All this information is on my adverts but many people obviously don't even bookmark these...otherwise they'd re-read them.
So I'll have a 'fast facts' section on it.

A pdf print out might just help them have something to hand they, and others in the party, can refer to quickly.

We'll see. If it makes no difference I'll stop.

Mousie (also investing in her own website)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Mouse wrote: I know for example that a week before people are due to arrive I get the usual questions: do I have to bring pool towels, does the village have a supermarket, do you have WiFi etc
All this information is on my adverts but many people obviously don't even bookmark these...otherwise they'd re-read them.
So I'll have a 'fast facts' section on it.
Good point. I do that bit when I send directions: I send a copy of the Book of the House which includes all that. It definitely gets printed out and brought with them. I wouldn't particularly want all that going to someone who hadn't yet booked as it includes too much detail about the house.

Edit: You have just sparked a thought, Mouse. I am wondering why I do the directions as a separate doc when I could incorporate them into the House Book!! :idea:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

pepsipuss wrote:I have taken to sending a link to my website (which has all the information) as I find most people have not bothered to click through from listing sites to the website. I just do it by saying that if they would like more information and photos about the property and the area, they can find them on the website if they have not already visited.
Yes, I do that as well. Sometimes they miss seeing the link if they are not practised at the art of finding a holiday property on line and make a point of looking for one!

I send a hard copy to guests after the balance has been paid, together with directions including images of local landmarks, since we're somewhat tucked away!

I still don't know if it's read - it's quite a lengthy doc and that's my own fault! :oops:
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Annew wrote:I usually use the tack that "we have had other enquiries for the dates you are interested in and we don't wish to disappoint you" de da de da etc.... and that usually spurs serious enquirers into making a confirmed booking. if I don't hear anything back within 24 hours I mark the enquiry as dead!
I guess this is my tack, really. I am a firm believer in following up, but not harassing. They will probably think that the "I've had another enquiry" thing is just a tactic anyway, so why not use it with everybody? It's a great feeling when they contact you a few weeks later requesting to book, the "remember me?" situation, and you can tell them that it's no longer available!

It's also very true that emails sometimes don't arrive, or just go into the trash bin. As I said in an earlier post, I followed up with a phone call to somebody who appeared to be very keen to book, and the follow up email never arrived. The phone call secured the booking.

That being said, we got an enquiry 2 days ago, stating they were keen to book our property, flights and car hire already booked. I responded immediately with booking form etc, and up to this morning, had heard nothing back. So I followed up with a phone call, just to check that the booking form etc. had arrived, and she was clearly still sound asleep in bed at 9.30.....guess I've lost that one!
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

further to my last post, how wrong can you be? She phoned last night and requested to make the booking. Didn't know if I should have apologised for getting her out of bed in the morning, or remain tactful and pretend I hadn't noticed. I decided on the latter
Vera

Post by Vera »

We use msgtag and if we see a mail is read we generally don't follow up, unless the enquiry sounded VERY keen.

If we can't see the mail has been read and msgtag is certainly not 100% accurate we will follow up. We might send another mail but also occasionally call.

Recently we have tried sending an SMS to inform that we have replied and if they haven't seen it either check the junk box or let us know and we will resend.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

I just sent a follow up email to a potential 2011 guest to see if they had any additional questions and they stated that they never rec'd my original email and they had checked their spam/junk mail folder

Who knows if they just deleted it or not but I resent - will advise if I get the booking
Kate
USA
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sorry only just seen this thread.... :)
Mountain Goat wrote:For next year, having read and digested MGs approach...

Um. me too - what did I say?

MG
viewtopic.php?t=4640&highlight=information+guests
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Thank you Mouse
I had just found the old post so I guess the only question that remains is

IS there an easy way to search for posts say by topic
Say if I was looking for posts about last minute cancellations or something like that
or
do I just have to search each forum

TY
Kate
USA
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Kathleen - I recalled a wonderful post by Vrooje about using the search facility and managed to find it by using the search facility! :D

This should tell you all you need to know and more! Vrooje is such a star.
vrooje wrote:Hi CM, and welcome to the forum!

Perhaps the most useful thing about the forum is the Search function, which you can find at the top of every page in between the "FAQ" and "Memberlist" links.

Because the search function can be anything between brilliant and useless depending on the options you choose, there are two main threads discussing how to use the search function on LMH:These are worth a read: as you become more proficient at using the search function, the forum's usefulness vastly increases. My first suggestion to you would be to practice searching for the questions you asked about, like "damage deposit", "security deposit", "friday changeover", "accept credit cards", etc.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

as noted in another post I was "looking" for a blank box at the top of the thread - siily me could not find the word SEARCH in plain English!!! LOL

Thanks all for your info and patience!!
Kate
USA
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

No worries - we were all in your shoes once!