Is this a scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Hanorah

Is this a scam

Post by Hanorah »

Hi not the usual scams I receive but this is ringing bells. They say they have been to my place 2x not sure if they mean Turkey or Dikili. Its the level of detail about places that make me unsure if it is a scam or not. They also don't want to book until next year Nov 2006.

Any ideas? I have replied saying they can book through my website using a credit card if they do want to book which should put them off if its the old bank transfer jobby.

CHECK-IN / ENTRIE (dd-mm-yy): 1 - Noviembre - 2006
DURING / PENDANT: 4 meses
PERSONS / PERSONNES: 1
NOTE: I have been to your place 2x and I will be in Istanbul and selcuk again on jan. 26/06. I am interested in renting an Apt. ( furnished OR unfurnished) for a period of at least 4-6 months per year, starting this Nov. 2006. I will be living alone, BUT from time to time, my family can take turns visiting me since I am 60 years old an NOT too healthy. I also have many Turkish friends from Izmir and Selcuk. I actually prefer Selcuk because of its proximity to Ephesus and Kusadasi, and Izmir is my second choice. I am a retired person. I love Turkey very much, although I am a Filipino originally. Can you find me a reasonable apartment for my purpose ? 2 bedrooms will be alright. Thanks,
-----------------------------------------
CONTACT PERSON / PERSONNE DE CONTACT: xxxxx
EMAIL: xxxe@hotmail.com
PHONE NUMBER / TILIPHONE: 1-416-532-7644
ADDRESS / ADRESSE: 1188 Dovercourt Rd.
CITY / VILLE: Toronto
POST CODE / CODE POSTAL: M6H 2X9
ZONE: ontario
COUNTRY / PAYS: Canada
Always Learning
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

In my opinion it's a scam.

The phone number is a sign http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/ZipC ... roc=Submit
Cheers
PC
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi Paul when I put 416 on the link it did come up as a valid number in Toronto Ontario Canada

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/ZipC ... roc=Submit

I suppose I should phone them really but as winter is especially hard to book in Turkey it would be wonderful to have a long term rent.

When I put the full number in it also seems to be a real phone number

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/ZipC ... roc=Submit

Am I doing something wrong did you enter different data?
Always Learning
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

No not really. Give them a bell to be on the safe side. But have to say I got a tenner to say its a scam.
Cheers
PC
gh

Post by gh »

Hanorah if you are confident look at this site with due caution.

Click on name.

SCAMSCAMMERS
spbowman

Post by spbowman »

A search on Canada's 'white pages' show the address, post-code and telephone number to all match (the name an anagram of EFANUBE?). Still proceed with caution, though.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi thanks for the replies. Since suggesting they book by credit card via my website I haven't heard back from them so either it was a scam or they have lost interest anyway.
Always Learning