Italians suspicious of booking online with Credit Card

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bananacake

Italians suspicious of booking online with Credit Card

Post by bananacake »

Once again i have yet another Italian that is getting cold feet!

Why is it that whenever i direct Italians to book their stay with a Credi Card by securely paying online they get nervous and no longer book??

I would of thought that as a customer you would feel more assured of paying by credit card then you would with a wire transfer into a bank? At least with a credit card you are insured against fraud.

For me i only seem to experience this with Italians but do you sometimes face this with enquiries (regardless of nationality)

What would be you think the best approach to reassure them :?
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

In a previous life, I had many dealings with Italians/credit cards, and they were always suspicious / apprehensive; in the end it was easier to just accept cheques for millions of lira and suffer the inevitable aggravation and costs that that entailed!

Interestingly, I think it is only fairly recently that the French have become a little more relaxed about card payments. I also think that, after many years of being very laid back about the whole thing, the English are now becoming much more reluctant to offer up card details to perfect strangers.

Is it perhaps just the climate we are living in, with fraudulent transactions being everywhere you look, and a lack of complete understanding about what is covered and what is not?

I agree with you entirely that common sense should tell people that a credit card is actually probably the safest form of payment for anything, but I guess we're all just a little bit suspicious nowadays!
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Belgium has supposedly one of the most advanced banking systems in the world (and a while ago also more Banks/employees per population than any other country) and for the last 10 years all payments I have made over the internet have been done with a card reader and/or an encryption device. It seems pretty safe and I have never had problems but I guess other larger countries it is a bit more of a challenge and also costs more to implement.

These days you can even get a text on your mobile telling when your CC has been used or your a/c has been debited.

Guess the banks in Italy do need a bit of catching up to do?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

James, I think this text service is becoming more common in the Uk too.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Banco di Sicilia already implement the SMS service every time you withdraw money from your account with your card. I find it very useful and almost TOO quick, as I've virtually just pulled out the card from the hole in the wall when my mobile beeps!! (And there's me thinking it's a booking request coming along!).

However, my main bank the MPS (Monte dei Paschi di Siena) has yet to implement this service. Italian banks are slowly catching up....

The 'man in the street' will use his card for purchases in shops and at restaurants etc but for holiday rental, I think he is more distrustful that perhaps the owner doesn't exist and he's being scammed! I don't have c/c facilities and accept only wire transfers which have not proved a problem for the only 2 Italian bookings I've taken in 4 years! (or for anyone else for that matter.)
Tizfata

Re: Italians suspicious of booking online with Credit Card

Post by Tizfata »

bananacake wrote:Once again i have yet another Italian that is getting cold feet!
Why is it that whenever i direct Italians to book their stay with a Credi Card by securely paying online they get nervous and no longer book??
As long as I can remember, the few Italians that book here, NEVER paid by credit card (I did have a link @ the bank, now I have the same, but from my site).
As an Italian myself, I am still surprised when:
1. I receive an enquiry.
2. I write them the dates are ok and they can pay here...
3. The credit card company tells me about the payment and the future guests did not write to say "ok, we are coming"
:shock:
Suggestions? You live abroad... There is not a lot that you can do, I am afraid... But, do you also give them your bank account details? Where is your bank based?
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
bananacake

Re: Italians suspicious of booking online with Credit Card

Post by bananacake »

Tizfata wrote:
bananacake wrote:Once again i have yet another Italian that is getting cold feet!
As long as I can remember, the few Italians that book here, NEVER paid by credit card (I did have a link @ the bank, now I have the same, but from my site).
As an Italian myself, I am still surprised when:
1. I receive an enquiry.
2. I write them the dates are ok and they can pay here...
3. The credit card company tells me about the payment and the future guests did not write to say "ok, we are coming"
:shock:
Suggestions? You live abroad... There is not a lot that you can do, I am afraid... But, do you also give them your bank account details? Where is your bank based?
I have a bank account in italy - so you suggest it would be best if i tell Italians to pay through wire transfer instead of credit cards right?
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

At least both!
Someting like: you can pay the deposit of XXX via bank transfer BANCA BLABLABLA via Pincopallo,1 12345 Chillosà (BO) - and do not forget the I-BAN AND Swift-bic number!
OR through this link www.bancablablabla.it/creditcard
Good luck!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Tizfata wrote:At least both!
Someting like: you can pay the deposit of XXX via bank transfer BANCA BLABLABLA via Pincopallo,1 12345 Chillosà (BO) - and do not forget the I-BAN AND Swift-bic number!
OR through this link www.bancablablabla.it/creditcard
Good luck!
next time i will give that a go and let you know how it goes :)