Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

website showing us to best advantage?

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: website showing us to best advantage? Reply with quote

Following a discussion on another thread which I don't want to highjack:

Recently I had friends who have a very successful gite business in the Dordogne visit us. They were very impressed by what we offer here but they said they didn't realise how good it was from our website and that I wasn't selling it well. Although we have had a very good year they feel with better copy would get me more bookings more easily.

Margaret commented:

I am amazed Enid - I am green with envy - your website is beautiful and your writing is lovely!

Pepsipuss commented:

Enid: I tend to regard the 'even better than expected' comments as very desirable - I much prefer to feel that I have undersold than oversold.

Your website tells a very good story and I can't really see much wrong with the copy, but a picture tells a thousand words and maybe it would help to have more pictures in the main pages and make them bigger, which would make it all feel less copy-heavy. There are some good images in the gallery but people need to be hooked in early to even want to go to the gallery. For example the biggest image on the 'Gîtes' page is the top left hand corner is of a bookcase and the ones on top left of the individual gîtes pages could do with being the exterior of the house. The books are relevant, indeed important (or would be for me) but they are not the thing that will hook people in to read further down the page.

Just first impressions - hope it is helpful.

Any other thoughts gratefully received
Vera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused.. your profile link takes me to http://www.peyrenegre.net/
which seems to be a blog and also the home page but the welcome to page http://www.peyrenegre.net/welcome-to-peyrenegre is a better introduction.

I would go large with pictures on the home page, you have a beautiful place and could sell it better.

I'll let the experts tell you how!
enid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx for pointing that out - I've changed my profile link
gone-fishin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Enid, Vera was spot on, much better, it makes me want to come for a holiday.
We get similar feedback to yourself when new guests arrive and they say "wow, its fantastic, even better than the website! You do ask yourself where do you go from there!
Enid how long did it take you to put the website together and did you find some parts difficult? Sorry, just curious.
I started in February and I am still trying to understand, it seems for me a bit like "how long is a piece of string"!!!
enid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a never ending job. I really can't say how long it took me; My daughter designed the wordpress template and I do the content.
Ju

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Enid

No time to do a long post now as I have a changeover to do, but in brief bigger photos are a definate on your first page.

The two things that would sell it to me are the pool photo on your facilites page, and the view you have from one of the windows. Show me those and I'm hooked.

Ju
lorca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Enid

I will have a proper look in a bit. Firstly just want to say that Iīve always loved the top banner/collage of photos (sorry donīt know the technical term) on your homepage. Itīs really very atmospheric and makes me want to come immediately.

I think I agree about the interior shots. Your property looks fantastic but some pics donīt really convey much. I like the bedroom pic for Les Hirondelles, and the one with the telly in it. But the one in the top left hand corner (possible the most important) isnīt very clear (cant really see what it is) and the kitchen one lacks a focus.

The dining room picture on the Les Etables page looks great (with the table set and nice lighting), but when you open it up itīs a different picture - not so nice IMO

Will look more in a bit - and I love your writing too
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid, I agree with others that your pictures are too small and many are too dark - especially the interiors. Not sure why you have used the same (excellent) shot twice on your front page. This particular shot would be much improved by easing up the shadow area and smoothing out the contrast:

Jim
enid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody . I was going to work on the photos this week but I've been a bit under the weather so I'll have a go next week and let you see what I come up with.
How to build your own personal website from scratch