We're Live!!!

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
davhill

Post by davhill »

Hooray :D

Our first letees are in the flat, then a couple from Oz is staying for week from the 21st.

We're getting lots of web traffic now so hopefully, lots more bookings will result.

PS: I also had my Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted in hospital on Thursday. Pretty sore but I've high hopes...it's working now so when the full program is put in, it should be good.

8)
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
AlastairW

Post by AlastairW »

The website looks good, is it free to create a website on Google Sites?

I think we should have a web page too as we rely solely on listings at Holiday Lettings and Independent Cottages at the moment.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Hi,

Yes, Google Sites is entirely free of charge. The cost is in time and here are a few pointers for you...

Google Sites has a fairly simple user screen. I found it easiest to assemble the text I wanted to add in a word processor, then simply copy and paste it into Google Sites web editor.

Once the copy is pasted in, you can highlight it and choose the typefaces and sizes, etc.

Don't try to assemble your site in web software such as FrontPage or Dreamweaver...Google Sites will strip out all the coding anyway.

Google sites can't handle a link to an online payment system (e.g. Worldpay, Barclays EPDQ, or Paypal). You can have a Google Checkout, as I have, but it isn't easy to set up.

On the upside, there are two very useful tools you can choose. Google Analytics gives every detail of how many are visiting your site, where they came from, what they look at and for how long.

Google places lets you put in a further ad for nothing! See mine at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Valley% ... a=N&tab=wl

In all, Google Sites is pretty good for a Freebie!
AlastairW

Post by AlastairW »

I'll definitely give Google Sites a go. Our cottage has already been on Google Maps for some time, but I have no idea if this has ever led to a booking.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 16&iwloc=A

We had a phone call from Google one day asking if we would pay some extortionate amount of money to come high in any search listings which we declined.

Since that day we now come much lower in the search listings than we previously did.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

davhill wrote:Hooray :D

Our first letees are in the flat...
Great! And they're getting to enjoy some good weather to boot. 8)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Hi Alistair,

Your Google Places entry looks good. The exterior pic is practically exemplary, what with the blue sky and all. Now you need some interiors for this page and your new website!

Google is in the business to make money so I'm not surprised they've approached you for a listing boost...and dropped you in the ranking when you didn't bite.

They haven't come to me offering optimisation...I'm ready for them and will temporise...

Good luck with Google Sites, I think you'll find the effort is worth it.
davhill

Post by davhill »

kendalcottages wrote:
davhill wrote:Hooray :D

Our first letees are in the flat...
Great! And they're getting to enjoy some good weather to boot. 8)
True! What's more, they left lovely comments in our visitors book. They also left the flat exactly as they found it. They may have felt under pressure as we'd confessed that they were the guinea pigs :lol:

We've an Australian couple starting a 10-day stay on Wednesday, plus a 3-day stay and a week booked in September. Looking up, innit?