An opinion please on work in hand

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
La Chouette

An opinion please on work in hand

Post by La Chouette »

I hesitate to put this up for comment as I'm still working on it, in between cleaning rooms etc etc, but some initial reactions to my website rework would be useful. Its
http://chezlachouette.com/test

I haven't touched the old French version so clicking on the French flag takes you to the existing version of the site, and I haven't finished doing individual and hopefully SEO friendly page titles yet, not to mention a load of other bits and pieces that need tidying up.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jan
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ok I will be first.
First impressions: Clean layout easy to read and the page is not too long so no scanning down and down to read the information.
Photos: If you click on your photos they open up another page. This is not so good, but if you “do” a small bit java script for the link you can open up a photo in a new page that can be defined for size and location on the screen (plus other features).
Links: Some of the links to other websites take you away from your website rather then opening another page (Condor Ferries is one example & Google gadgets is another). There area lot of links dotted around the pages, mainly to another page on your website. Personally I find this confusing.
Google maps: The get directions box does not work. I cannot read it all because the box is under the words on your website, but it seems not to be able to find your address.
Contact form: I tried sending one. First of all a blank one but I was asked for first and last names. But then it was sent. So no other details were obligatory. Maybe change this to all fields are compulsory. After sending I got the following error web page.
http://www.chezlachouette.com/page24.ht ... =&Message=
This does not look good….. “We normally get back to you the same day, even when we are away from home, so if you haven’t heard from us within 24 hours, please try again using some different method. Messages do sometimes disappear into the ether!” What is the problem?

As a side note. I see Richard used to work in Flint house. When I worked in the U.K. water industry and spent many a week there doing training courses. Obviously this is when the building was owned by the water industry training scheme. A lovely part of the U.K. I wondered what had happened to Flint House after it was sold.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
pete

Post by pete »

Jan,

just for me the blue is a little light, mixed with the black and white its quite stark.

The gdf line about 3 epis takes you to the gdf site where you can search for other chambres d'hotes - do you need to do that on your front page ? if at all ? by all means list your epis but I would remove the link.

The menu along the top does not have the same spacing on my screen.

There was some advise on colour palettes once here, I will see if I can find it if you want,

it does read nicely,

pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... some initial reactions to my website rework would be useful.
Jan, I would try to improve the size and quality of your photographs and work at making them dovetail more neatly into the layout - particularly noticeable on the 'Accommodation' page. Can't help but feel a bit sorry for the poor old Limousin cow on the 'Dining' page as she nervously comtemplates being incorporated into one of Richard's dishes!

Jim
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Thanks to Ian, Pete and Jim for your comments. As soon as I have some more time again, possibly after this weekend's guests, I'll get cracking to sort out the problems you've raised and those I've found myself.

You're right Jimbo - any animal round here should be vary of Richard and the cooker!

Jan
lorca

Post by lorca »

Jan, your place looks lovely, but I´m afraid your website design feels rather institutional to me, a bit like an in-house newsletter rather than a property website.

You have a lovely picture of the outside of you´re property - I would love to see this really big on the home page. I´m afraid I´m not keen on the other pictures. Is there anyway you could get some wide angle pictures of the bedrooms - the beds look nice but they don´t tell you much (they could be anywhere). Your food sounds great but the picture on the home page just looks like a cluttered table.

Sorry to sound negative but I really think you´re underselling yourselves - I suspect your property and it´s setting are lovely, but I can´t really see that. Likewise the food - do people ever have braekfast outside? could you set up a pretty table with the great breakfast you describe?
LPC

Post by LPC »

I did a comparison of your new English version and the French version. It strikes me that your French version is very good indeed. The colour combinations, layout, etc. are all very effective. The standard of French is excellent, too! Is one of you fluent, or did you get a French person to rewrite your text?

To be frank, I am less impressed with the English site. The white background looks too bright and somehow it just doesn't look as neat and tidy as the French version.

BTW I like the way you make the most of hubby's culinary skills - it makes us fancy a few days there!!
http://maison-bourgeoise.co.nf

Dearest Josette, our flock leader and friend, passed to the astral on 27 January, 2015. Roam free, dear one! xxx
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Thanks Lorca and LPC for your comments too. My French version was done by a French friend as although my French's passable, a native speaker always writes better than someone who isn't.

I think I may take the new version down for a while until I have time to massively tidy it up and consider the more aesthetic comments people have made.

Trying to get these things down at the same time as still carrying on the day to day business is easier said than done, but thanks to all for their comments.

Jan
lorca

Post by lorca »

...apologies, I ought to clarify that I was looking at your test site rather than the site below your signature (which I have just looked at and which is much better altogether)....