Forum recommendations

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
la vache!

Forum recommendations

Post by la vache! »

I've just done a quick check of my webstats, and apart from the usual LMH forum referrals :roll: , noticed loads from the moneysavingexpert.com forum, which has thousands of members. One of the longest standing members of that forum (who stayed here earlier this year)highly recommended my gites on a thread :oops: . I've had a few other forum references before (one on a remote control airplane forum which seemed a bit obscure, a couple of other 'Mum/family forums), the only problem is that you have to join the forum to see what people are saying about you. But it can be good free publicity, only problem is, you can't do it yourself, of course.
e-richard

Re: Forum recommendations

Post by e-richard »

la vache! wrote:...the only problem is that you have to join the forum to see what people are saying about you. ...
Now that could be taking one's duty just a bit far :cry: :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I'm a member of that forum (Moneysavingexpert). Whereabouts did they mention you LV?

It's a great forum by the way - and I have learnt (and saved!) so much from that website.
For example - switched my gas/elec to Eon about a year ago and got a very low rate, capped until October 09 which has saved me a fortune in utility bills. Found out about Phonecheap which I now use when phoning abroad for just 0.5p a minute. Found out how to contest my council tax banding - the local council dropped my band and refunded me about £600. Found out about a free Boots mascara (which I would normally buy anyway), worth £13, being given away free in a magazine costing 2.95 - I bought 3 copies, gave them away to friends, and kept the mascaras.
The list is endless. In fact, I don't know why I haven't recommended that website on here before! Sorry guys!

www.moneysavingexpert.com
I would recommend everyone to join - and make sure you sign up for their weekly emails.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Congrats LV, like NC I hadnt noticed it either,have to have a looksee. :)

Im a member NC, and like you, capped rates for my utilities [which I posted about here]....
and got the cheap mascara as well :wink: I will have to look into this phonecheap, thanks,
as you say the weekly emails are a must!! :)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I have found on most forums that, while you have to be careful about overt advertising, they allow you to put your website address in your signature. This can be very good advertising!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi NC and BS,
this is the link if you want to see, in the Travel Resource Bar on the MSE forum. As you are members the link should work for you.
I suppose forums are of limited use as threads go out of date quickly, but it is still nice to get some free publicity for a week!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Nice one, LV! :D
pambon

Post by pambon »

For those of us in Italy I have just been sent the following website: italiannotebook.com which may be of interest.

One can also advertise there so I may give it a try depending on rates!

It's a pity renters are not accepted on TripAdvisor, they put me on to their Travel Library section which I now advertise on, but since it's free nothing really comes along.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Renters ARE accepted on Trip Advisor - we have been on there for some time (just search for 'Haus Sterr'). Unfortunately, you have to list as 'Specialty Lodging' and end up being very difficult to find - we direct potential guests to our page on TA as reviews on there are quite highly regarded. I think you have to be on site to qualify and they send you a list of questions to answer before they accept you for listing.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Thanks Margaret I will try them again when I have a moment.
jayval

Post by jayval »

Forums with signatures are effective to create backlinks, not that we expect visitor from forums to be prospective guests, but it really helps a lot in SEO to have backlinks in related sites.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I am a member of a facepainting forum that has members across Europe and the States. I have my weblink in the signature and will occasionally mention funny things that have happened during a let. I've had one weeks booking from it.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Posting about your area in travel forums is very targetted publicity (remember the signature link either to your website or blog !).

And it is free !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Do you have some favourites Peter? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com