More advice please.

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Bellywobble

More advice please.

Post by Bellywobble »

I've just read through my last post and have to appologise for the spelling mistakes.( a spell checker would be good).
I would love some advice on the following. We have a one bedroom flat in the grounds of our home. We are only half a kilometre from the sea ( very smaall beach) and a kilometre from a nice beach. We have a pool, which we don't advertise. It is right outside our lounge. We have considered advertising the flat with pool access from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm. This would give guests access, but still give us some privacy. At the moment we don't mention the pool, but if we like the guests, we tell them they can use it.My worry is that we'll have the family from hell and my poor kids (3 teenagers) will have to share it with horrors! By not advertising it, I feel it comes as a bonus, but maybe we would get more bookings if we did advertise it? The other thing against advertising it is that if we get wind, within minutes the terrace can be covered with leaves. These then take the best part of an hour to clear. I feel, if people are paying for a pool, they will expect a clean terrace. I could then be sweeping at 6.00 am 8.00am 9.00am.....but if the pool is a "bonus", they will just be pleased to have the use of it. What do you think?
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Kayley,
I would not include the pool until you are sure that is the reason why you are not getting bookings. My guess is that day will never come. More likely, it is your advertising that is at fault. You are probably not reaching the right people, in which case it doesn't matter if you offer 10 pools, you're still not going to get bookings.

Have you listed the property online using the paid listing sites as well as using a local agent? There's plenty of advice here on that aspect. For us, local advertising is a complete waste of time. It's not uncommon for people to rely on agents the first year, then give them up completely after that, instead using the listings sites, and eventually building their own website. The results are far more successful for most. That's what this forum is all about.

Also look at pricing. Even without a pool it ought to receive bookings if priced right and presented in an appealing way to feature other amenities and local attractions. Once you start to reach the right people to get bookings without pool, you can then decide whether it's worth raising the prices to include the pool, lose some of your privacy and pay for extra pool care.

My 2 cents
Waves from America
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks very much, your 2 cents are worth a lot.

We do adverstise with a paid listing site who we have been pleased with.

I intend to sit my husband in front of the computer this weekend and we'll review our advertising taking notice of the advice on here.

One problem is that the interior doesn't photograph very well. It's quite small and it's difficult to take photos that don't include the window bars! Again however, we will make use of the advice given.

Thanks again
mvus

Post by mvus »

Given the level of competition on the CDS I would think it essential to mention your pool very important to include a photo of it on your ads where you can put the caption "pool access from ..... to .......
enid

Post by enid »

If the rooms are small, I would set up a pretty corner - lamp on - table with flowers/fruit etc - then if you included a floor plan folks would be able to see the dimensions - you would have been truthful but will have illustrated the ambiance rather than the size - I agree you need to avoid the window bars!!!