A question of price

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
martin2

A question of price

Post by martin2 »

I recently had a lady enquiring about the pricing of the 1st 2 weeks of July asking if we would drop our prices as the schools were not on holiday in that time - we refused on the ground that lots of schools are out this early but just wondered was this normal and did we do right to stand our ground as this our first year letting.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, martin2. Image
You are right to stand by your prices. July is peak season because of the weather more than the school holidays, to my mind.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

She was just trying it on. :roll: You were quite right to stand by your prices.

In my opinion the time for discounting is at the last minute otherwise what's the point of advertising prices in the first place.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

It's a while since I researched it in the UK, but at that time there was a clear distinction in prices between school holidays and not - our pricing (and bookings) follow this - we could sell the school holidays several times over but earlier is not a foregone conclusion even at a lower price.

It may be that Brittany, whose whether is not so reliable than further South, may follow the British pattern. I suggest you look at local competition to see what they do.

John
cromercrabholiday

cromercrabholiday wrote:
It may be that Brittany, whose whether is not so reliable than further South, may follow the British pattern. I suggest you look at local competition to see what they do.

John
Make that "weather" - I hate typos, but it is late!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just worth saying that Scandinavian school holidays start in June !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
cromercrabholiday

And the US holidays start end-June. This means that, if you have an international guest intake, you get families throughout July and August. We have only once had overseas guests - a Canadian family came for a month, but they had relatives in the village.

Does Brittany have a wide following, or is it mainly Brits? I believe that the French think of it in the same way as the English think of Scotland - very pretty but wet and cold (apologies to Scots in advance - I'm talking of general, not a personal view).

John
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

John,
you are right, the most of the French tend to take their summer holidays in the South where is is warmer, so it is mainly UK visitors (and other northern Europeans)
Martin2, your prices seem very cheap for the peak school holidays for a big house such as yours with a pool. Mine cottages are cheaper than others in my area and yours are nowhere near my price in peak season. I have a big farmhouse, with a shared pool and find it is difficult to fill outside of the school hols, so my peak rates kick in 15th July for 2006. If I were you I would be inclined to up the price considerably in final fortnight of July and August and keep them lower for the first couple of weeks. I filled the first 2 weeks in August a few years ago, but since then have discounted them (or bumped up people from the smaller houses).
Just my opinion!