Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Update or Create New - What to do??

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAB-USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Update or Create New - What to do?? Reply with quote

I have a site that is static - needs all new photos as these are so VERY old. I would like to be able to update the photos and possibly add one or two pages but definitely want to change photos.

I see lots of instructions to build my own site and have considered it. I however have limited time and do give up easy

My question is should I

1. Just pay someone to update the current site -photos and some text
2. Should/could I pay someone to show me how to do it myself
3. Should I just start a new site that I will be able to change all features myself
paolo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Update or Create New - What to do?? Reply with quote

Kathleen wrote:
I however have limited time and do give up easy

=> Pay someone else to do it, these factors are like a snowman that hates the cold and is allergic to carrots.
KAB-USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the analogy - I knew that but just needed the nudge!
dmjarvis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay somebody to do it for you, but make sure they make it easy for you to change in future - this must include being able to change navigation, add / amend pages, upload images etc, but should also include an ability to affect the key SEO bits too. These days you should be able to find somebody [clears throat] who will provide you with a Wordpress install, stylish premium theme, your uploaded content, integrated blog, relevant installed widgets, xml sitemap, and nicely optimised - in fact an entire working site - for hundreds rather than thousands of pounds (or dollars).
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I however have limited time and do give up easy

I put aside three weeks to build my site (I'm no expert) and then spent a lot more time, with help from the kindly members on LMH, fine-tuning the result. Unless you're prepared to make building your site an absolute priority, pay somebody else to do it. There are no short-cuts to quality results.

Jim

Last edited by Jimbo on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
e-richard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmjarvis wrote:
..you should be able to find somebody [clears throat] who will provide you with a Wordpress install, stylish premium theme, your uploaded content, integrated blog, relevant installed widgets, xml sitemap, and nicely optimised - in fact an entire working site.

You'll probably also need someone to translate all that into English for you Very Happy

But, I must heartily endorse dmjarvis's recommendation that you get something that you are able to change in the future.

While Wordpress is indeed the gold standard and probably the most comprehensive and flexible platform to use, its by no means the only one.

For example, you may wish to start slowly and try something free or very cheap like Iowners just to get you used to the idea of building content and uploading images.

I don't mean to start a debate on the merits of different platforms; I just used that as an example to endorse the benefits of not building from scratch or using someone who does. That's what I did, and regret it weekly Embarassed
KAB-USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I think I will take a look at iowners over the next few weeks and give it a try
I am sure that it will give me loads of insight as to whether create myself or hire is the way to go for me
How to build your own personal website from scratch