Question on travel agency commission

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bananacake

Question on travel agency commission

Post by bananacake »

I just received an enquiry from a travel agent that requires accommodation for their clients. One of the questions asked was whether we offer commissions for bookings to the travel agent.

i know that travel agencies survive from agency fees that they charge their clients and also commissions from hotels... but what are your thoughts on offering a travel agency a commission for bookings made on a holiday home?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Are you sure they are genuine, Bananacake? The only enquiries I have ever received from 'travel agents' have been scams.

On the other hand if they do turn out to be genuine, I might offer something for a period that might otherwise be hard to let. If it is for a popular period I would invite them to add something for themselves on top (which I guess they will probably do anyway!)
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We deal with a number of travel agencies, bona fide, no problems - but you do need to make sure they are genuine (we find a comprehensive website is a pretty good guarantee!). We always give 10% commission - they deduct it from the payment they send to us. We give 10% to past guests so this is not really a problem for us.

I would say that travel agencies do add to the admin of a booking. Not having immediate direct contact with the guest is a nuisance for us and travel agencies we have dealt with have had very little knowledge of the area and we have ended up doing quite a lot of their job for them.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

perfect - thank you both very much for your helpful and very quick reply!