Pay as you go cell phone SIM cards

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
TTP mk2

Pay as you go cell phone SIM cards

Post by TTP mk2 »

I can't find a straight answer via google, so could anyone tell me if PAYG SIMs are available at a reasonable price ?.

I need one that works for voice & data in Texas & Louisiana.

If such a thing is available, are they available in small town shops ?[/i]
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I don't know about SIM cards but you can buy no contract phones for voice and data in shops like Best Buy.
Maybe you could e-mail them to ask.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

yes. cheap and very common to just buy the phone:
http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_sort_low ... _color-bin

try big stores though rather than little shops I would think...Target, WalMart, and also the large supermarket chains (or, obviously, any electronics shop or phone shop.) I don't think it's common here to sell the SIM cards separately - I ordered one once (T-Mobile) many years ago over the internet - was actually buying one for Italy, but the US one came free with it.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Thanks both.

The reason I asked about small towns is that I am going to a very small town, quite literally in the middle of nowhere & will not have time to find a Wal-mart or target on the way.

Looks like using my UK or French SIM card & taking the hit :-(
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

You never know, you might see a Target/Walmart near the airport you land at.
You might be surprised though that even in a small town, there might be a shop selling phones and such like. If you know the post code for the town you can look up resale points online.
If it really is in the middle of nowhere, you might want to find out which company gets best coverage in the area instead of finding out after you buy a phone that doesn't work.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

ccazes wrote:You never know, you might see a Target/Walmart near the airport you land at.
I have a problem with Walmaart or Target, I can never get out of one within 2 hours & normally a few hundred $ poorer.
If it really is in the middle of nowhere, you might want to find out which company gets best coverage in the area instead of finding out after you buy a phone that doesn't work.
It would appear that AT&T have some coverage but even that's not good.

Thankfully both the hotel & place I'm going to have wireless internet, so will have to rely on Skype.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Are you flying into or connecting at any major airport? They would all have a cell phone shop I would think1 (although, admittedly, I have never been to Texas and only once in New Orleans, so maybe it's a different world out there!)

Why don't you just order one online and have it shipped to your hotel?
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Just to finish this off.

I bought a Samsung phone for $9.98 & a 120 minute card for $24.95 from TracFone at a WallMart, which seems to work quite well.

I did waste 2 hours & spend $400 in the bl**dy shop.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hahahaha! I hate it when that happens! well...at least you did get the phone :-)
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I suppose you could have run up a mega phone bill had you used your regular UK phone.
You can say that the $400 was the money you "saved" by buying a local phone!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

We bought two T-Mobile phones from Best Buy (Florida)($20 each) and when we top up online they don't expire for one year,

We also give guests a $10 calling card which they can use from a mobile or land line and call the UK for upto 8 hours

Its often cheaper to buy a phone with the sim card rather than just a sim card
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

how costly is it for you to use your UK mobile here in the states?
Just looking for an approx cost per call or per minute

Just looking to see if offering my guests this info is worthwhile for them - as most seem to use their mobile while they are here as that is the contact number they give me
Kate
USA
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'm not sure of the exact cost of calls using a UK mobile in the US but it is expensive, they will be better off buying pre-paid telephone cards or buy a US mobile unless of course they have tons of money !!

Making one or two calls would be ok but if they use it regularly to ring the UK it would soon mount up.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I think it depends on your telephone operator and the pricing plan you opt for.
My friend can use her phone in the US and the minutes come out of her monthly minutes but at a rate of 1 min used in the US for 2 off her plan or 1 international text for 3 texts from her plan.