Oooh, look... some magazine coverage!

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
kendalcottages

Oooh, look... some magazine coverage!

Post by kendalcottages »

We managed to get a full page feature in Cumbria Life - a local magazine - this month. If you're interested, there's a copy here:

Kendal Cottages - Cumbria Life - November 2010

One or two friends have seen it and commented, but there have been no enquiries. Still, can't do any harm.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Wow looks wonderful Paul. Hope it brings you lots of bookings, out of season ones especially. :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Nice article KC. Well done!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks, both of you! :D
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, great Paul and these mags have a certain shelf life I feel sure: dentists, hairdressers etc so the enquiries may yet come.

No pic of the dynamic duo though! :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks, GG.
Giddy Goat wrote:Yes, great Paul and these mags have a certain shelf life I feel sure: dentists, hairdressers etc so the enquiries may yet come.
If I get lots of guests with pristine teeth/hair, I'll know why. ;)
Giddy Goat wrote:No pic of the dynamic duo though! :(
Don't want to put them off now. :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

That's a great piece, but what I'm wondering is:

How many people who live or work in Cumbria are in your target market ?

Looking on the positive side, guests holidaying at neighbouring properties will see what they are missing and where they need to book for next year :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks, Richard.

It's not probably our main market but the magazine is bought (and subscribed to) by visitors as well as locals. I'm unsure of the figures but hopefully it can tap into some of them.

We've also found this year that a number of our guests have been visiting family in the area so there's good reason there, I suppose, to make locals aware.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

To me, who grew up with the print media, there are few things more pleasing than a well laid out magazine article. Just seems like proper grown-up advertising compared to all this ephemeral internet stuff. And, as GG says, good magazine articles have built in longevity and pop up in the oddest places, still working hard on your behalf as they yellow and fade.

My only tiny criticism is that the (well-composed) lead picture just feels a bit cold and wintery in this context and might have benefitted from the addition of a little warmth and sunshine, or more interesting lighting. But otherwise – great stuff!

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well done Paul :)
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Looks great!

I think it will bring in some business - we had a feature in the Yorkshire Post magazine (our local press) and it's still bringing in the odd enquiry a year later. We also had a feature in a national mag but that doesn't seem to have had any impact at all.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks again. We've had fleeting mentions in the national press, too (Guardian, Telegraph and Times) but mostly they have come to very little.

Guardian: 2 enquiries, 0 bookings
Telegraph: 0 enquiries, 0 bookings
Times: 2 enquiries, 1 booking

I agree with you on the photos, Jimbo. They were all taken before we finished the property and I've not really had a chance to get back in and re-take them yet. The property has been pretty much continuously occupied and the little time I've had at changeover hasn't tended to be coupled with good weather. Hopefully I'll be able to update them soon but alas, it won't be any use for this article...
lorca

Post by lorca »

Great stuff Paul - are you going to put it on your website?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I've mentioned it on our blog and linked to the article from there. :)
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well done KC! Great article and lovely pics (though I take Jimbo's point). The one by the river immediately makes me want to stay there.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'