Leaking pool!

For anything to do with the garden and pool
domino

Leaking pool!

Post by domino »

I am writing this at some ungodly hour because I cant sleep and am pretty fed up (understatement). :(
A year ago we concluded our swimming pool was not functioning as it should. The drain at the bottom of the pool did not seem to be be functioning properly. We called the installer out and he confirmed there was a blockage and said we must have got concrete (from the pool surround ) in the pool. He then tried to 'free' this with an industrial powered high pressure hose. A small piece of the material was retrieved and it turned out to be the self levelling compound used on the base of the pool before installation of the liner (therefore not our fault).
So to cut a long story short the pool was 'signed off', on completion, as fully functioning by our pool installation company technician. Unfortunately it took several seasons before we realised the extent of the problem. The company had 'put the pool to bed' at the end of the first summer and opened it the following season and still didnt mention the problem to us. When we finally discovered the blockage we called the company back and they tried unsucessfully to clear it. The act of pressure hosing the pipe has caused further problems and we have lost all the water from our pool over the winter!!!!!
If the technician had found/reported the blockage immediately (when the pool was installed)it would have been simple to excavate the pipe work and clear the blockage before the terrace was installed :x
So to conclude, we have guests arriving in under four weeks and the only solution seems to be to attempt to seal the drain (temporarily) and get the excavation work done in the autumn.
If anyone has any better ideas (or advice) please let me let me know.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Oh what a nightmare Domino! Has your pool installation company admitted liability? Isn't the drain part of your filtration system? If so and the leak is fairly slow it might be better to fill it up again but just keep topping it up through the summer?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... and the only solution seems to be to attempt to seal the drain (temporarily) and get the excavation work done in the autumn.
Another solution might be to insist (backed with the threat of legal action) that your installing company return and rectify this problem to your complete satisfaction before your guests arrive. If they won't agree to this, then consider employing another pool company to rectify the problem and sue the original company for the cost of the work (but take legal advice before you embark on this route). Unfortunately, you'll need to get your skates on - this is the busiest time of the year for pool people. A local pool guy here says that he 'picks the cherries' from April - June which keep him going for the rest of the year.
The act of pressure hosing the pipe has caused further problems and we have lost all the water from our pool over the winter!!!!!
Leaking pools are truly the stuff of nightmares. But you seem to have got your installers bang to rights after the discovery of the levelling compound in the drain and their tardy efforts to solve the problem ever since. No more Mr Nice Guy from you.

Jim
domino

Post by domino »

Hi Kathy
Thanks for your response. Last summer (20 weeks use) we noticed the 'auto fill' on our pool was running 24/7 . This alerted us to the problem. Our water bill at 'end of year' increased by about 250€ (compared to previous years) plus we had the added expense of replacing lost chemicals. If the water loss were to remain at that rate over the coming summer season it would be manageable but can we be sure of this?
At the moment we have an empty pool which has enabled us to clean the liner , literally inch by inch, making sure it is not torn. It appears to be completely intact so one would think the installation company ( a reputable french company) would take responsibility. Both for the initial blockage and the damage caused by them when trying to rectify it. We are awaiting their response.
An empty pool does enable us to seal the drain either temporarily or permanently now.
The filtration system has had to function via the skimmers only since installation and the pool installers say this is OK. Whether thay are saying this because they dont want to do the excavation or because its a 'fact' I do not know. Love to hear from anyone who does.
domino

Post by domino »

Hi Jim
Thanks for your thoughts. I dont think digging up the pool terrace now will be a viable proposition, everything moves so slowly in rural France!
You are right, its time to get tough. :evil: :twisted: :evil: Is that scary enough? Will keep you updated :)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I dont think digging up the pool terrace now will be a viable proposition ...
Hi Domino

If you are forced to limp through the season losing water, you'll have to top up regularly with new water and increase your chemical input which, of couse, will decrease the pool temperature and put up your costs. And will somebody be around to check daily for water loss?

Happened to us a couple of seasons back following flood damge. It was a stressful time. Good luck.

Jim
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We have a very similar problem. Our pool is an "infiniti" type, but the tubing carrying the water back to the holding tank has cracked due to incorrect fitting and backfilling by the builders. We had to filter using the bottom drain of the pool instead of the over the edge system all last summer, and are going to have to do the same again this year, just pumping over the edge for short periods to clear debris from the top of the pool.

Like you say, extra topping up, extra chemicals, extra expense, but likewise we cannot dig up our surrounding tiling until after the guests have gone this year.

We too are faced with taking the builders to court, and probably getting someone else in to rectify the work.

Stressful, stressful, stressful.
domino

Post by domino »

Hi Jim
The water is topped up automatically and we will be keeping a close watch on water quality, chemical dosing etc. As we will be on site that dosnt pose a problem.
Thanks for your good wishes

Olive Grove, sorry to hear of your problem. The whole thing is very stressful , hope you manage to resolve your situation without the need for legal action.
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Just stumbled across this one, so maybe my feedback is a bit late!

Do you really need to keep the bottom drain operational? It's not often used (certainly ours isn't), so I'd suggest you get hold of a threaded blanking plug and fit this to the drain outlet. Then just ignore the thing.

If you do need to pump the pool out, it's easily done with a separate submersible pump - the cheapest one you can find.

Leaking pools are horrible to deal with, so sympathies from me too!

Ralph

www.visitslovenija.eu
domino

Post by domino »

Leaky pool update.
The pool installation company have accepted full responsibility for our pool problem. It took a lot of effort on our part just to get them 'on site' but in the end they realised we were not going to give in. The work is scheduled for October so watch this space:)
Also, we visited our insurers to discuss compensation for loss of water, chemicals etc. They were very positive about our claim. I had written off these losses but now it seems we will be reimbursed.
Its rare for things to go this well :D just a little nervous though 'counting' and 'chickens' comes to mind :lol:
domino

Post by domino »

Feeling a tad glum. The repair work did not happen as promised:(
It has been muted by the installation company that the problem drain be permanently plugged.
Does anyone know if this is OK bearing in mind its a pool shared by three gites.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

domino wrote:Feeling a tad glum. The repair work did not happen as promised:(
It has been muted by the installation company that the problem drain be permanently plugged.
Does anyone know if this is OK bearing in mind its a pool shared by three gites.
Outrageous! It's like your plumber installing a new sink, finding the pipe from the basin is leaking, screwing a plug into the drain and saying - 'Hey, I've cured the leak. Oh sorry but, in future, you'll have to bail out the sink-water with a jug!

In good faith, you purchased a pool that has a long-standing problem caused by faulty installation and it's the responsibility of the installer to correct the fault. It's disgraceful that they haven't carried out the repairs as promised and I would insist the company investigate the problem further during the winter months, excavating if necessary, and cure the problem at their expense before your new season begins. And I'd want that in writing. Failing that, I'd immediately seek legal advice.

Jim
domino

Post by domino »

The pool has now been checked by the installers insurance company 'expert' and we await their verdict. Our own insurance agency has been pivitol in getting this done, without them I doubt our installer would have taken any notice of our complaint. Will update as further info becomes available.