A 6 month let and linen!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
moose

A 6 month let and linen!

Post by moose »

I'm considering a 6 month let nxt winter but just wanted to know whether an adapted short term tenancy agreement will suffice or whether I need something more meaty?

Also - do most of you include linen and towels in the letting price (talking short term now!) - aren't there tax issues if you do or don't?

Thanks again!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I include linen and towels in the price.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hi, only just joined the forum hence this replay is quite a while after your original post.

I'm not sure where your rental property is but as far as I'm aware in UK there are consequences with council tax, income tax and capital gains tax (when you come to re-sell) if you take longer term lets.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Strictly speaking you should offer no linen or towels as this is considered a 'service' and as such doesn't come under the category that allows most of us to operate under the micro-bic régime. However, most of us do it! I would let them bring their own for a long term let. A couple of other words of caution, take a good deposit as any long term lets I have had have left the place in a bit of a state. Also do not include heating!!!
I turned down a long term let last year as I worked out that from the October - April I would get as much income from long weekends and winter holidays and a lot less wear, tear and hassle than letting the house out for 6 months!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have also turned down long term lets over the winter months. When I first started renting I was warned by other renters in the area that the cost of bringing the property back up to scratch for the holiday season after a long term let out weighed any advantage.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Meanwhile, I dream about a long term winter let :lol: .

We have only had one long term let - to the BBC director of "The Lakes" series .... and if you saw the series, you'll know why we're embarrassed. But at least my car featured in the series. We included heating and rates, but he had to pay for his own phone to be installed - we don't normally offer a phone

We did it a reduced rent with weekly clean and laundry. It was for about 4 months off season. No real problems. At that time we had a cleaner and her only complaint was condoms under the bed after a weekend. Make of that what you will :oops: .