yes, but do you have to be so obnoxious?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Perhaps saying that it's too expensive is just the easiest way to answer whe you chase them?

If they say they found somewhere nicer they'd upset you (not suggesting that that's why - just an example...)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I actually don't mind when people ask for a discount usually...I almost never give one...but I don't mind them asking if it is last minute or they are way under-occupancy...I was just put off by the way they were telling me what they were going to pay rather than asking.

As I said, my response was polite and I offered a very generous discount since the booking was less than a week away in winter and yet, the response was: "This rate is still higher than my budget. As I told you, the maximum that I can pay is $xxx." (only $200 difference from the rate he wanted, btw - for a week...split between 7 adults.) I'm thankful they didn't book. I wished him all the best with his accommodation search.

Funnily enough though...I was also getting frustrated with enquiries for booked dates, way over occupancy and, my favorite, one night rentals (I get quite a few of these and it gets annoying.) I bit my tongue and, again, responded politely and said that unfortunately, we cannot accommodate one night bookings...got a long apologetic email saying she made a typo on the form and could she please book for 10 nights :-) so, it does pay too always answer nicely, no matter how annoying they are!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Musetta wrote:I offered a very generous discount since the booking was less than a week away in winter and yet, the response was: "This rate is still higher than my budget. As I told you, the maximum that I can pay is $xxx." (only $200 difference from the rate he wanted, btw - for a week...split between 7 adults.)
Grr, the "as I told you" would have really got up my nostrils! So glad you had the satisfaction of a ten day booking soon after. A nice result Musetta!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I get a lot of enquiries asking, 'How much is it for a week?' Until I read this forum thread I did not realise there was a hidden agenda here! I just thought they hadn't bothered to read. :roll:

I very rarely get requests for discounts and equally rarely give them. Mostly I would rather be empty than go below what I think it is worth.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, I'm afraid I agree - the "on principle" motivation seems to precede common sense and "bird-in-the-hand" one! :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Normandie wrote:... just about every travel / holiday booking-related article on tv, radio and in newspapers / magazines, recommends that travellers ask for a reduction on the advertised price of just about anything. So that's what they are doing. ...
Sorry for being late into this one. I've been away, and I remember reading somewhere that the 6th most searched for term on Google in 2010 was, and I quote "Cheap holidays".

I'm sure my quote needs more amplification and verification, but its certainly true that we live in a new era of negotiation and some people have yet to learn the skills involved.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !