Website Review Please - thelavenderhouse.eu

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
the lavender house

Website Review Please - thelavenderhouse.eu

Post by the lavender house »

Hi everyone

We're finally open for business after 3 year preparation and would love you guys to take a look at our website and advise any changes or recommendations.

We also want to advertise in Belgium and any recommendations also welcomed.

Thanks.
Always look on the bright side.

http://www.thelavenderhouse.eu
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi TLH

On the basis that content is king you have made a great start there. Great to see the two language versions.

I do like the watercolour on the front page - it's bit different and leads me in.

The photos could do with some work - a bit dark and the angles are not always great. You have done some work dressing the rooms but I think you could still do the place a lot more justice.

Which brings me to the layout. (get your tin hat out :lol: )

Sorry I'm really not a fan. Here's some intial reactions.

It looks very "templatey" and mid-noughties. Things have moved on very quickly and the sort of menu you have there, with the rough edged oval buttons, screams "old-fashioned" at me. I am not a fan of the font either (although that is very subjective I admit).

The gallery layout on the rooms page with the images stacked right on top of each other is ultra basic and again looks very dated. You have it much nicer on the dining page wit some white space around the images.

The layout of the fields in the contact form is a bit irregular and needs tidying up.

Finally, for the moment, the header looks rather crammed and unbalanced against the rest of the page.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Unless I am mistaken the flower is spelt Lily, rather than Lilly. Otherwise I have been mis-spelling one of our gites and my daughter for some time!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I usually try to look at a website before reading anybody else's comments.

Now, as I come to write my comments, I find that Windy has covered all my points almost exactly as I'd have written them.
(Dammit, that's twice in one day, I have publicly agreed with him :wink: )
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Windy

Post by Windy »

(Dammit, that's twice in one day, I have publicly agreed with him :wink: )

You're just building up some credit aren't you :-)
CSE

Post by CSE »

I will add that the photos are mostly dark and hard to see the details.
There is no location map.
I too like the idea of the watercolour, but how about a photo too. Maybe a mouse over change would be an idea to consider.
There are no alt text to photos, no site map either.
There are some HTML errors like found on this page:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... Findex.htm

You say you are listed on TA but when I click the link I do not see any reviews and only listings of other properties (they have reviews) with your address and no reviews. That may take potential customers away.

One last thing.
The description for your home page reads “Terry Bowen, Kathy Layzell, Kathy Bowen, B&B, Luxury Bed and Breakfast, Chambre d'Hote, Montemboeuf, Charente, Lakes, Fishing, Boating, Swimming, Holiday, Painting, Relaxation, Pottery, Trains,
The Lavender House, Lavender, en suite, gay friendly”

And the keywords says the same. I think that the use of your names is wasted in both of these Meta Tags. I would suggest you look for things more applicable with your business.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck with your new adventure.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
the lavender house

Reviews

Thanks everyone, much help and will look at the points raised.

I've been informed Lilly and Lily are correct.

Yes., the pictures do need looking at.

Thanks again one and all!

Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi TLH,

You've obviously put a lot of hard work into your project, hope it all works out well for you.

Just one thing which I have to mention, 'cos I'm intrigued....

Casasantoestevo wrote:
The description for your home page reads “Terry Bowen, Kathy Layzell, Kathy Bowen, B&B, Luxury Bed and Breakfast, Chambre d'Hote, Montemboeuf, Charente, Lakes, Fishing, Boating, Swimming, Holiday, Painting, Relaxation, Pottery, Trains,
The Lavender House, Lavender, en suite, gay friendly”

I believe I looked all over your website fairly carefully, but I couldn't find any mention of "gay friendly". Assuming it's there, why would you want to mention this specifically? Obviously you'd be gay friendly, non? :?

Not intended to inflame or provoke in any way, just asked out of curiosity.
the lavender house

Gay Friendly

Hi RR

The only place "gay friendly" is in the page description and is nowhere else on the site, we are, but not all B&Bs are, gay friendly.

CSE

Post by CSE »

There are some gay friendly listing sites. like this one:
http://www.purpleroofs.com/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Since others have already commented on the design, I hope you don't mind me just picking up on the domain.

.eu ...? I'm really not keen on that as a suffix. I don't think it's commonplace, and I think it's good to have a domain that people are familiar with.

Did you consider approaching the registrants of thelavenderhouse.com or lavenderhouse.com to see if they would sell? Both domains are registered, but sitting idle. They may or may not sell for a sensible price.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
the lavender house

Suffix

Thanks Kendall

I think EU is getting more popular but will look at the domains you've suggested.