When to offer discounts?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
stork

When to offer discounts?

Post by stork »

I just had en inquiry from one of the best price hagglers - he (?, name is Zil) then asks for an early booking discount for 22-27 April which I find silly.

Now, as it is 5 days I could normally convince myself to discount a bit (say, 10%) on our standard weekly rate (day price is 20% of week rate), but I am getting a bit annoyed by the manners.

What would you do?

I tend to ignore the Best Price requests, unless it
- is getting close and is off-season, or
- just fits a gap.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I would say "no".

Early booking discount is a nonsense. It's closer to being a last minute discount, surely!

I'm generalising grossly but, invariably, the people who want the best possible price, are often not the kinds of people you want coming anyway.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That's Easter? Surely that makes it a desirable time and certainly not time to discount? Having said that, I have not booked it yet, but I would be very surprised if I don't.

Quote the price and the dates that work for you, I'd say.
Marks

Post by Marks »

My rule of thumb is that I do what I'm comfortable with. If it suits me to fill a gap then perhaps I'll offer a keen price to fill it but as its Easter then I would refuse unless last minute which to me is 3 weeks or less to the arrival date. It also depends on the manner in which the discount is asked for!
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
stork

Post by stork »

I ignored the "Best Price" in the first email (as I usually do).

Here's what I answered:
I am sorry, but I do not consider this quite in advance. It is our last available slot around Easter, and I do not see a reason to reduce prices yet.

Best regards