Installing wireless ADSL advice?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
firstgreen

Installing wireless ADSL advice?

Post by firstgreen »

I am considering installing wireless ADSL so guests can use their own laptops in my apartment, how difficult is this?

I already have a phone line (inactivated) and understand I will need a wireless router/modem, service provider, anything else?

Should I buy the wireless router/modem in the UK or Portugal?
Will there differences in the ADSL line frequencies which might cause problems with the router/modem hardware bought in the UK?

Do you leave it constantly plugged in or leave instructions for guests?

Do you have to install the router/modem software on your computer to manage the hardware. I am concerned that this might conflict with the other modem, firewall which I have installed for my UK ADSL?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Phil,

I can't answer for any possible problems you might have because you are in Portugal. My first thought is that you will not have any.

I use ADSL and have a wireless network installed. I use a Netgear DG834G Router which simply plugs into the ADSL wall socket. I have a "master" PC which is plugged into the router and which contains all the management software. All other PC's and lap-tops communicate with the wireless network by the use of Netgear USB Adaptors MA111.

The Router firmware includes a firewall which does not conflict with other firewall software. It's only a matter of getting the settings right.

My router is "on" all the time but I only have my own PC's and lap-tops authorised as users, otherwise anyone passing by could link in. If a guest arrives with a wireless capable lap-top I add him as an authorised user for the time of his visit. Very simply done using the inbuilt software.

Alan
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Phil,

I have just contracted for ADSL with WiFi router here in Spain for the same purpose. When I receive my ADSL kit, I may be able to answer all your questions :) .

However I would suggest getting your ISP´s own Wi fi router as there can be no buck passing if there be any problem. Depending on what is on offer at the time of contract, you may get a discount or even a free router.

Let us know how it works out.

Maria
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

Thanks for your replies.

I will probably go for the Portuguese ISP's own hardware, however it seems the Netgear DG834G Router is very popular.

Alan, I presume won't need the Netgear USB Adaptors MA111 as my laptop is setup for wireless?

"If a guest arrives with a wireless capable lap-top I add him as an authorised user for the time of his visit"

I won't be around to do this so I will have to figure out how to allow all guests access without opening it up to everyone.

I just hope the instructions are in English.

Thanks

Phil
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Phil,
Alan, I presume won't need the Netgear USB Adaptors MA111 as my laptop is setup for wireless?
I think you are correct.

Alan