Please Review fethiye-sunsetbeachclubapartment.co.uk

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
bjp11scot

Please Review fethiye-sunsetbeachclubapartment.co.uk

Post by bjp11scot »

Hi Folks
At the liklehood of me getting a real bruising would the experts please have a look and criticise my web site: http://fethiye-sunsetbeachclubapartment.co.uk

I am not greatly versed in HTML therefore have been using NetObjects Fusion 11

I have had difficulty in understanding some of the intricacies and in particular how to create my site map

Within Netfusion settings I have followed their instructions and successfully created their HTML sitemap and was wondering if this is all that is required

When I go into the Google Webmaster (and after what I consider carrying out their instructions) the STATUS for all my website page links have an X against them

Please be kind

Regards

Bob

http://fethiye-sunsetbeachclubapartment.co.uk
Windy

Post by Windy »

OK - I'll kick off with a general observation.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

You have too many fluttering flags using low res images and the front page gallery whizzy stuff with the pics going round in circles is way too much.

For me its too busy to make me want to spend time on the site. Sorry.

I did try the gallery, but I sort of wish I hadn't after I watched a few of the intro effects.

You've obviously got a great place and you have a lot of great material but, IMHO, that site is not going to do the business in it's current form. It reminds me very strongly of why I ditched Net Objects Fusion V8 in 2008 and bought a book on html coding. A less radical approach might be to get to grips with Wordpress.

Sorry if all that sounds a bit harsh - it's meant in a constructive way.

You have to actively submit the site using Google Webmaster tools.
bjp11scot

Post by bjp11scot »

Windy wrote:OK - I'll kick off with a general observation.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

You have too many fluttering flags using low res images and the front page gallery whizzy stuff with the pics going round in circles is way too much.

For me its too busy to make me want to spend time on the site. Sorry.

I did try the gallery, but I sort of wish I hadn't after I watched a few of the intro effects.

You've obviously got a great place and you have a lot of great material but, IMHO, that site is not going to do the business in it's current form. It reminds me very strongly of why I ditched Net Objects Fusion V8 in 2008 and bought a book on html coding. A less radical approach might be to get to grips with Wordpress.

Sorry if all that sounds a bit harsh - it's meant in a constructive way.

You have to actively submit the site using Google Webmaster tools.
Windy
Thanks for the evaluation - no problems being harsh - that is what I want

Let me have a look at 'Wordpress' (new to me) to see if I can get my head around that platform

Meanwhile during the interim and just to keep me alive - let me see if I can 'tone down' the present site to see if I can come closer to what you are suggesting

Give me a couple of days (hopefully) and I will get back with it

How does that sound?

Thanks for your time
Windy

Post by Windy »

Meanwhile during the interim and just to keep me alive - let me see if I can 'tone down' the present site to see if I can come closer to what you are suggesting
It's just an opinion :wink: others may not agree so don't get too radical !!!
bjp11scot

Post by bjp11scot »

Windy wrote:
It's just an opinion :wink: others may not agree so don't get too radical !!!
Nae worries - lets see what happens
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have to agree with the flag. When I click to view the image they are actual quite small and presentable. So there is no need for them to be so large on the front page.
Why have the flags? I ause a few flags to indicate the different languages on my website, but I assume these (on your website) are just for decoration?

I do not understand this paragraph.
For Price Comparisons ‘CLICK theSCOTTISH FLAG’ and go to the official Sunset Villaturizm Web Page - by dealing direct with our guests we are so much cheaper !!!
I did click but that website did not load for some reason. So I have to ask why am I being taken away from your website? Is this way of running down the competition or something?

I am using Firefox and I cannot really read he menu bar. Letters are too small and almost the same colour as the background. Some pages are different colours/styles to other pages, is there a reason for this? the prices availability menu is cut off because the box is not long enough.

The domain address could be too long for Google to read. Read this for more information.
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... wer=147959

Meta description is too long for Google (something I have to change on my website too).

Some of the images do not have alt. text.

Opening links takes me away from your websites. So if I went through the booking procedure at a car rental I would loose your website after a few pages. Maybe think about changing this.

There are quite a number of errors on the first page in the HTML, I have not checked the others.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... index.html

I assume the prices are in U.K. pounds but that needs confirmation.

Now I need a to lay down to cover from all of the moving objects! :roll:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

I've just asked for some comments on our websites so I'm writing a couple of reviews in an effort to contribute back. So I'm certainly no expert.

Wordpress is a good tip. http://wordpress.com/ is the place to start. Not wordpress.org, at least initially.

After that, in my opinion, it's all about the photos. I think yours are better than most. But they could be better still. I think a digital SLR with a proper flash gun is a must. No need to go top of the range. How about a Nikon D50 with and SB600 flash gun for about £200. A wide angle lens would also be nice, but that might cost a bit.

The photo effects did make me smile but the comment above is probably correct. If you get into wordpress have a look at the 'lightbox' plugins.

Again, I'm no expert, so lease ignore all of the above.

Gwion.
bjp11scot

Post by bjp11scot »

casasantoestevo wrote: 1) I have to agree with the flag. When I click to view the image they are actual quite small and presentable. So there is no need for them to be so large on the front page.
Why have the flags? I ause a few flags to indicate the different languages on my website, but I assume these (on your website) are just for decoration? (I reckon I will get rid of the flags)

2) I do not understand this paragraph.
For Price Comparisons ‘CLICK theSCOTTISH FLAG’ and go to the official Sunset Villaturizm Web Page - by dealing direct with our guests we are so much cheaper !!!
I did click but that website did not load for some reason. So I have to ask why am I being taken away from your website? Is this way of running down the competition or something? (you are correct in your assumption I that it was a comparison - I will take the particular section out)

3) I am using Firefox and I cannot really read he menu bar. (I also use Firefox and the site appears OK with me - can you offer further guidance as to why the difference?)

4) Letters are too small and almost the same colour as the background. (I will change the menu bar colour)

5) Some pages are different colours/styles to other pages, is there a reason for this? (I will have to recap on this one and see how I can rectify)

6) the prices availability menu is cut off because the box is not long enough.(again I do find it OK when I publish or preview but will try to make the box longer)

7) The domain address could be too long for Google to read. Read this for more information.
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... wer=147959 (please let me digest this issue and revert)

8) Meta description is too long for Google (something I have to change on my website too).(do you mean the Meta description on the HOME page -what is the ideal length - rule of thumb)?

9)Some of the images do not have alt. text.(let me go over the photos and rectify)

10) Opening links takes me away from your websites. So if I went through the booking procedure at a car rental I would loose your website after a few pages. Maybe think about changing this.(not really sure what you mean on this one - is it possible to elaberate a little - do you mean the links within the 'Useful Links Page'? - if so I will take the page out)

11) There are quite a number of errors on the first page in the HTML, I have not checked the others.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... index.html (I am not too well versed with HTML - looks like I need to get a book - so please bear with me on this)

12) I assume the prices are in U.K. pounds but that needs confirmation.(this I will rectify)

13)Now I need a to lay down to cover from all of the moving objects! :roll:[/quote]( I promise I will make the site a little more sleepy - so you in turn can have a good night)

Thanks for the feedback - makes me think that I have so much to learn and that the site is in a bit of a mess - let me set about trying to rectify as many of the above as possible then get back with the changes

Bob
bjp11scot

Post by bjp11scot »

Gwion wrote:I've just asked for some comments on our websites so I'm writing a couple of reviews in an effort to contribute back. So I'm certainly no expert.

Wordpress is a good tip. http://wordpress.com/ is the place to start. Not wordpress.org, at least initially.

After that, in my opinion, it's all about the photos. I think yours are better than most. But they could be better still. I think a digital SLR with a proper flash gun is a must. No need to go top of the range. How about a Nikon D50 with and SB600 flash gun for about £200. A wide angle lens would also be nice, but that might cost a bit.

The photo effects did make me smile but the comment above is probably correct. If you get into wordpress have a look at the 'lightbox' plugins.

Again, I'm no expert, so lease ignore all of the above.

Gwion.
Gwion
Thanks for your feedback - I will certainly look into your suggestions re wordpress - tho presently I will imediately try and clean up my pressent act (even if it is just a temporary measure) then move on to a permanent solution - and maybe I can get my wife to buy me a Nikon for my birthday!!!)

Please feel free to comment at any time

Regards

Bob
CSE

Post by CSE »

I am not suggesting you remove all flags, but the ones you do keep as the file size.

I would not know how to overcome the comparison of prices. We are listed on some websites that take commission. We do this as part of our advertising coasts. Could you not list with that website and look for an alternative or something???
I am obviously asking with a lot of ignorance in how the set up is. I am not asking you to answer on an open forum either, as some things should remain confidential.

With the menu bar I see the letters, as being too small. It could be that it is the clash in colours, nothing more.

The ideal for a description is between 50 and 150 characters ..I have several 100s as I tried to cramp in different languages. I have just learnt about this aspect.
The links. For example easy jet, try and book a flight this process takes you through quite a number of pages. How does the client get back to your website after the booking process. It should remain open so that they can easily come back to your website. Rather than doing a search through their browser history.

When adding the pound symbol don’t forget to use the ampersand html code rather than just a pound sign. This is so it comes up correctly on the screens.

I am not ready for bed yet, I am working on my own rewrite, and I have a nice bottle of the neighbour’s wine beside me. When I see the bottom of the bottle it will be bedtime.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
bjp11scot

Post by bjp11scot »

casasantoestevo wrote:I am not suggesting you remove all flags, but the ones you do keep as the file size.

I would not know how to overcome the comparison of prices. We are listed on some websites that take commission. We do this as part of our advertising coasts. Could you not list with that website and look for an alternative or something???
I am obviously asking with a lot of ignorance in how the set up is. I am not asking you to answer on an open forum either, as some things should remain confidential.

With the menu bar I see the letters, as being too small. It could be that it is the clash in colours, nothing more.

The ideal for a description is between 50 and 150 characters ..I have several 100s as I tried to cramp in different languages. I have just learnt about this aspect.
The links. For example easy jet, try and book a flight this process takes you through quite a number of pages. How does the client get back to your website after the booking process. It should remain open so that they can easily come back to your website. Rather than doing a search through their browser history.

When adding the pound symbol don’t forget to use the ampersand html code rather than just a pound sign. This is so it comes up correctly on the screens.

I am not ready for bed yet, I am working on my own rewrite, and I have a nice bottle of the neighbour’s wine beside me. When I see the bottom of the bottle it will be bedtime.
Ian
Please find my progress so far - hope I am not being too much of a nuisance:

quote="casasantoestevo"]
1) I have to agree with the flag. When I click to view the image they are actual quite small and presentable. So there is no need for them to be so large on the front page.
Why have the flags? I ause a few flags to indicate the different languages on my website, but I assume these (on your website) are just for decoration? (removed all except 2 flags)

2) I do not understand this paragraph.
Quote:
I did click but that website did not load for some reason. So I have to ask why am I being taken away from your website? Is this way of running down the competition or something? (removed the particular section)

3) I am using Firefox and I cannot really read he menu bar. (I have changed navigation bar) - please advise if better

4) Letters are too small and almost the same colour as the background. (as above)

5) Some pages are different colours/styles to other pages, is there a reason for this? (I have recapped and changed styles) - please advise

6) the prices availability menu is cut off because the box is not long enough. (I have altered the text)

7) The domain address could be too long for Google to read. Read this for more information.
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... wer=147959 (please let me digest this issue and revert)

8) Meta description is too long for Google (something I have to change on my website too). (I have shortened HOME Page Description)

9) Some of the images do not have alt. text (I have checked over all images) – can you let me know if any still do not have alt

10) Opening links takes me away from your websites. So if I went through the booking procedure at a car rental I would loose your website after a few pages. Maybe think about changing this. (I have removed direct links within the ‘Useful Link Page’ and left addresses unlinked) – please advise – I can remove this page if necessry???

11) There are quite a number of errors on the first page in the HTML, I have not checked the others.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... index.html (presently trying to work thro them and learning) – will revert my progress

12) I assume the prices are in U.K. pounds but that needs confirmation. (have clarified the issue)

13)Now I need a to lay down to cover from all of the moving objects! [/quote] ( hope you had a good lay down)

a) I have removed most of the star-bangled banners etc – this to ensure that you do not get too dizzy (wine apart)
b) I am trying to work on HTML – this may take me some time tho
c) I realise that the resolution of the images are not what they should be but unfortunately until I get a better camera – not much I can do at this stage

Thanks for your help

Bob
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have to say things have improved vastly.
Not so many flags, the Turkey symbol at the top has stopped moving.
The nav. bar is a great improvement too. Clear and readable.
Flying around I can see the pages appear to be the same. I may have missed one as you have plenty of information on the website.
With the links you can still have them and have them open in a new window.
Example: <a href="http://www.xxxx,comI" target="_new">words or banner here</a>)
Ref photos: You might not need to very good camera. But compress them less for use on the website. They will take longer to load but it maybe worth it.
One comment about this photo-
http://fethiye-sunsetbeachclubapartment ... rea_3_.jpg
It does come across as being stretched too much. Take several photos and stich them together is away of over coming this.
This is what I have done with some of mine, like this one.
I do need to improve the quality through-
http://www.ribeirasacra.com/images/casa ... o_side.jpg

I always need to lie down!

Ian