Access Statements

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Annew

Access Statements

Post by Annew »

Is it a requirement to have an access statement for holiday accommodation?

I've had an enquiry from a guest who told me it is a legal requirement to provide an access statement, but I always thought this was not the case.

I usually answer guests from disabled guests as and when they arise. Our properties are large and have loads of stairs, rooms hazards etc, so the access statement would probably run to about 5 pages!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

It's a requirement for a Visit Britain rating; I don't believe it's a legal requirement under the DDA, although I'm not 100% sure. I've had a scan through the DDA stuff on the .gov site and can't see a requirement stated.

It is fairly tedious to produce, although not difficult; when I did ours it did feel like I was rewriting War and Peace, and I also wondered who would ever read it all and actually care which side every door is hinged........

VB have a template somewhere, or if you don't already know what's involved (sounds like you do) feel free to have a look at the one on our website - particularly if you fancy a snooze!

Regardless of our access statement, on the occasions when we've had enquiries from disabled guests they've always asked lots of questions - and rightly so.

TBH, the cynical side of me says it's VB imposing something on its members to make themselves look good, although it can serve a useful purpose. I think on our next VB inspection I'll insist the inspector reads it all.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Thanks for that info Greenbarn. I guess I'll have to write something as I'm planning to join VB later this year.

Your access statement is very good (must admit I didn't read it thoroughly) and has given me a few ideas about what to include. I think I'll get Mr Annew to do all the measuring of steps - that should keep him busy for about 2 weeks!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes, I had an enquiry from a wheelchair user and I couldn't give them enough information. They needed to know the space around the bed etc and I couldn't tell them. They wanted to come and visit from a couple of hours away, which I didn't have a problem with, but they never came back to me.

So my feeling was I needed to create one, but I really don't want to spend what little time I have there measuring everything..... :(
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

I, too, understand that access statements are not a strict legal requirement.

Statements and forms are no substitute for simple good management and being able to inform and safely accommodate, as far as reasonably practical, disabled people.

Heaps of forms and gestures are loved by bureaucrats keen to duck responsibility rather than be judged by results. (in their jargon: 'outcomes'). As long as the boxes are ticked and all the proscribed forms are complete, anything ghastly that may happen is not their fault.

I have heard a rumour that the star system may soon be abandoned. Does anyone know what is planned about this?
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Martha

Post by Martha »

Essentially we aren't really suitable for anyone in a wheelchair - not much space round the beds, narrow stairs etc, but for someone who had a little mobility we could be fine, so I added one, modelled on the VB template.

OK it was a bit time-consuming doing all the measuring but well worth it I think. It must be really difficult, if you have a disability, to explain your particular needs to someone precisely, and very easy, as an owner, to overlook something important. I've had a couple of people ask for wheelchair info, which was why I made it, and people do look at it on the site.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I've moved my post to the new thread on VB Star ratings.
Last edited by greenbarn on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annew

Post by Annew »

The rumours are the reason I am holding back from VB for the moment. I do want to join, but it's pointless if everything is going to change in the next few months.

[/quote]