French ski resort laundry and cleaning charges.

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Hells Bells

French ski resort laundry and cleaning charges.

Post by Hells Bells »

Trying to have something to negotiate on here. My own charges are increasing rapidly, and I feel like I don't have any negotiating power. I either accept the increases or it's tough. Changes recently -
Being charged per bed and not per person (so 3 in two doubles pays the same as 4 even if they use less towels). Happy to pay per bed if towels are done separately .Linen was previously done in the apartment as part of the cleaning service, but is now costing me a whole lot more.
I was charged 5€ to wash a 60cmx30cm chenille rug which could have been washed with the towels, and cost me less than £5 in IKEA. Not even sure why it needed washing (no explanation given), or why it couldn't have been done in my washing machine while cleaning was being done. It would have taken 30 minutes and would have dried before new guests arrived that afternoon. Spares in cave means it could even have been left until we arrived later that week.

Interested to know what other Alpine owners are paying.

Do you pay per bed or per person for laundry?

What about towels, bathmats, and small rugs?

How much would you pay per hour for cleaning?
bentisdall

Cleaning charges

Post by bentisdall »

Well I am not in the Alps but I am in a mountain area. I think I'm paying over the odds (as I'm paying less for cleaning & laundry in my flat in London) but as I don't live there I'm putting up with:
12 euros per hour cleaning
Sheets/towels/bath mats @ 8 euros per person

However because I charge sheets, towels etc separately and at cost to me (the French way) most people choose to bring their own sheets & towels.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If you are paying over the odds then I am being robbed blind.

I'm being charged 60€ to clean the apartment, and that would take 5 hours at the rate you are charged.

I am increasingly tempted to take the linen and towels out and charge separately. However the thought of other peoples mismatched linen on the beds, even if I am not there, makes me shudder.
bentisdall

compared with London

Post by bentisdall »

Well you're not there to see the mis-matched laundry! Personally I would never bother saving 8 euros by taking my own sheets & towels but it seems most french people do.
Incidentally in London I'm paying £8 per hour for cleaning. And I have a brilliant collect & deliver laundry service that cleans all the sheets & towels for six people at £16 a time.
Martha

Post by Martha »

12 per hour cleaning, and laundry is by the kilo at the laundrette, it usually comes to about 100-120 euros a time (for 10 people)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Martha, I'm going to do a changeover myself next weekend,as we're arriving Friday night and staying with a friend. I think I will take the linen to the launderette instead of washing it myself just to see what the costs are.
Looking at the linen rental charges from there, it is hardly worth me providing our own any more.
If I do move to the laundrette though, I suspect extra charges will creep in for collecting the linen (which is on the way to the apartment), and for making up the beds.
I suspect these recent extras have cropped up since I stopped providing bathrobes, that's 10€ per changeover she is losing.