A website review needed

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
caroig

A website review needed

Post by caroig »

I'm trying to tempt northern europeans into the area. The Spanish keep me busy at certain times of year both there are no gaps.

Too slow, too wordy?

Any input, gratefully received.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A bit too slow to load for me. I wanted to give up but persevered!

Personally I do not like the words overlaid on the background photo. It doesn't serve any real purpose but it does make it difficult to read as the print goes across a dark and light background. At this point I've actually given up because it hurts my eyes! Sorry.

I had a quick look at the 26 photos of the villa and found them to be a mixed bunch. Nice to have a selection but they vary greatly in "quality". You have a few of the main bedroom and it looks well presented and staged, but too many of the others have things in them that don't belong - a folded T shirt(?) a washing up cloth, a broom and pile of garden rubbish etc etc. It's been said many times before, if you can stage your villa and present it at its best, you're halfway there.

I haven't spent any longer on it, but hope that's not too negative for you, just something to think about.
caroig

Post by caroig »

Hi Nemo, thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ohh not many comments on this one.

It is a bit slow on loading. That could be down to the background photo the text. It s a great photo and it is a shame you hide it.
The size is 2420x 1612px and is 317 KB.
IMHO it is far too large. Consider reducing the size with compression and px wise too.

There are some HMTL errors This is for the home page only.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... utrera.com

You have the basic things like robots text and Google analytics etc etc so things are going well with everything else for SEO work
The website is clear and informative. I would try and sell a vacation with a bit more than just walking and birdwatching. For instance could you hire mountain bikes? Or what other points of interest do you have in the area?

In general I like your website.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Just a quick comment from me... the image that you use as a backdrop to some pages... it strikes me as one of your best pictures. And yet unfortunately I only ever seem to get fleeting glimpses of it when the page first loads, and then another layer with your text overlays it.

I'd love to be able to take in that scene without it 'disappearing' so suddenly. It looks stunning! :)

(I did look at the gallery but couldn't see it repeated there...)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
CSE

Post by CSE »

kendalcottages wrote:Just a quick comment from me... the image that you use as a backdrop to some pages... it strikes me as one of your best pictures. And yet unfortunately I only ever seem to get fleeting glimpses of it when the page first loads, and then another layer with your text overlays it.

I'd love to be able to take in that scene without it 'disappearing' so suddenly. It looks stunning! :)

(I did look at the gallery but couldn't see it repeated there...)
Here is the link:
http://www.huelgautrera.com/Portals/_de ... elgaBg.jpg
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

I like the images and the overall style - but there is just too much text. When you're looking through hundreds of 'possibles' of places to stay you want to see the key points on the first page; how many bedrooms, what facilities does it have, what's it near and how much.

The same with 'La Casa' - there are too many words. Could you not split it a bit, as you have with 'Activities'? Received wisdom has it that you should be able to reach every page via max two clicks, but you can reach all yours with one, which is not necessarily a good thing when there is so much text.

HTH
caroig

Post by caroig »

Thanks for the comments, very useful.
lasourcetranquille wrote:I like the images and the overall style - but there is just too much text. When you're looking through hundreds of 'possibles' of places to stay you want to see the key points on the first page; how many bedrooms, what facilities does it have, what's it near and how much.
I do have heaps of information to add, but I think your right, I need to be more concise on the key pages and leave the verbage for further inside.
casasantoestevo wrote: There are some HMTL errors This is for the home page only.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... utrera.com
I know, it's a drag. The xhtml from the CMS I'm using isn't fully compliant (things like CDATA around js, ids starting with a numeric, styles in the body!!). Google isn't going to penalize me, but it does look a bit naff. :oops:

You're right about the size. I still have to minify my css+js and I need to take the image size down.

I have a fly-fishing, truffle hunting activities to add and mountains bikes are a great idea.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

casasantoestevo wrote:Here is the link:
http://www.huelgautrera.com/Portals/_de ... elgaBg.jpg
My point was that I could only ever seem to see that image as a 'background' to the various pages, meaning that it was obscured. Yes, I could look at the source code and get the absolute image reference for the picture, but I don't suppose your average punter is going to do that.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.