The Gardens

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
moose

The Gardens

Post by moose »

Well having got the gite ready we are now turning our attention to getting the gardens ready - we have a south facing walled garden but need to dress it and its looking a bit bare and shabby!

Could anyone advise some flowering bushes/plants that could make the place look prettier through the summer. And if you had hte french names, that'd be a bonus!!!!!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I'm not an expert gardener, but I'm trying.

Our weather is a little warmer than yours, so some thing that work here work work in Brittany. Roses are always good, and you can still plant them now. They have the advantage of being in flower at the right time of year. Lots of pots of geraniums go down well.

Herbs like lavender and rosemary are easy to grow and don't need too much looking after. For bedding plands I like to use pot marigolds (Souci) and french marigolds (Oeillet d'Inde), as well as cosmos.

Some useful addresses are www.baumaux.com for seeds

www.jacques-briant.fr and www.willemsefrance.fr for plants

Hope this is of some use.

Ju
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Moose,

When we were planning our garden we found this site very good, they deliver and the plants and shrubs are very good quality and have florished over the years.
Our neighbour has tried unsucessfully to grow an olive tree so we were a bit wary, however, after 4 years its still growing. :)

Willemse

edit, seems Ju beat me to them! :)