Update-added youtube video, good idea? NarrowsCottage

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CSE

Post by CSE »

No panning problems with the layout.
I did like the green layout and I like the blue, but the title and the links on the left could be changed to a more contrasting colour. It would make it easier to read.
Some of the guest book photos are outside of the white area. 3 to be exact. But only in FF, when I click the button to change into imitation IE this does not occur. The ticks of different browsers!
The text in the grey area at the bottom of the home page is not centred, both FF and I.E.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Wow Wendy, what a transformation! You definitely did the right thing, ditching the old one and starting again, well done! :D And I love the blue background, interestingly enough it's all the same font on the home page for me, I'm using Safari.

Now for a few little niggles............sorry........ :wink:
  • *The title 'Lakefront North Idaho etc' is not centred either with the blue background, or the white area with pics. If you can move it I suspect it would look better centred to the white area, but I might be wrong......
    *1st para - Over look the lake should be overlook the lake.
    *Full stop (period? Are you American?) at the end of your bullet points.
    *If possible I'd reduce the size of the borders around the photos.
    *Yes I'd replace the first 2 pics with a large one, although they're both great photos. Do you have a wider version of "Fun off the Dock"?
    *I love the fact that you can click on each pic for a larger image, something I keep meaning to do on my site. Some of the enlarged pics are only very slightly larger though, specifically the view from the dining room and the sunset ones.

Oops, got carried away with that lot so have only done the Home Page. :wink: I see from your source code that you're using Sitebuilder, are you able to get into the code yourself with this one?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Forgot one thing - In all the enlarged pic windows, the 'Close Window' buttons don't work. Thoroughly good job though Wendy, well done! :D
Kathy
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Thank you Ian, Irene, and Kathy!

Wish I could center things in the footer but it won't allow me to, at least so far... will check further.

Same with the header, have tried, but will dig deeper if possible.

Yes, am American :) are the periods something we do but others don't?

Can't change the border sizes on the photos, just a limited selection of colors...

I can do a larger "fun off the dock" photo but on the home front, hubby thinks both need to be there so am looking for some more consensus on that one :D

Will make sure all photos can click to a larger size than some must be coming up.

Can't get into the code (no one would want me to) but I can insert code into certain parts of the page. If I'm understanding your question correctly.

Will check on the guest book photos, probably can't fix that on the FF browser.

Thank you for checking, I will fix what I am able to fix!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Clive in Abruzzo

Post by Clive in Abruzzo »

Hi Wendy,

One tiny, tiny little detail. You might like to add a favicon to your site. What's a favicon? If you look at the tabs that are open during a general browsing session you'll see at the top-left hand corner a little icon. If anyone decides to add your site to their favourites then that icon is stored alongside the name given to the favourite. This can help to prompt people to go back to your site when looking through their favourites. Or so they say!

The icon dimensions should be 32x32 pixels and it should be uploaded to the root directory of your site - all browsers will automatically find it there.

If you like to have one and need any further help then please don't hesitate to ask.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote: Yes, am American :) are the periods something we do but others don't?
We use 'full stops' in the UK Wendy. :wink:
I can do a larger "fun off the dock" photo but on the home front, hubby thinks both need to be there so am looking for some more consensus on that one :D
I agree with him Wendy but I do love the full width pics too.

[/quote]
Kathy
Windy

Post by Windy »

Wow - haven't had time to look in too much detail as busy with the day job but WHAT a transformation. (Told you it was worth persevering !)
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thanks Clive, I called to ask how to do this and they sent me an email with the following:

1) Upload the favicon.ico as a file download, and copy the link info, as it will be needed in the following step.

2) On the website, add the following as an HTML add-on :
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yourdomainname.com/sitebuild ... avicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

(Be sure to add the <> symbols to the beginning and ending of the code.)

I really don't know how to do step 1, I went to favicon.cc and downloaded a photo but then all I had was a very tiny photo! So any instruction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Windy, so glad you like it! Thanks for your help!

Figured out how to center the footer info (added a table) so I think that looks better, changed the color of the navigation links and I agree that it is easier to see what page you are on.

Kathy, didn't know in the UK periods were called full stops. Very interesting, love learning these different things.

Anything else that sticks out to anyone?

Thank you all again!
Wendy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Periods in the UK can be lengths of time, but beware they're also menstrual cycles!

Here's something for you to get your head round that was posted a while back, MG I think. If you're going to rent to anyone other than Americans you'll need to know the differences. And there are many! :shock:
Kathy
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Kathy, interesting link, makes the head spin! the term above carries the same meaning here depending on context :D

Clive, the hosting company called me back on the favicon subject and said I needed to go to a site, make one, download it as a file and then insert it somewhere on the homepage.

Any sites that are very easy to use for this? tips? will it give me a choice as to "download as a file"?

Thank you,
Wendy
Clive in Abruzzo

Post by Clive in Abruzzo »

Hi Wendy,

This is becoming too complicated. I'll make the icon for you simply PM me an image or else a link to an image that you would like as the favicon and I'll create the icon for you and send it back to you.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Just added two youtube videos found dealing with fishing and the nearby theme park. Do you think this adds a good or beneficial element to my website?

Thanks,
Wendy
CSE

Post by CSE »

Wendy, Just had a quick look. My first impression is the front page is getting far too long.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Hmm, good point, hadn't thought of that, it probably already was too long... Only thing would be to put them on other shorter pages. The fishing one I have on the location page also.

Thanks!
Wendy