VB plug for IKnow-UK

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

charles cawley wrote:
However, we do offer more than just marketing. I doubt that a VB employee would take calls at 9pm on a Sunday night either to make bookings or to give information about what's on in the area of particular cottages or just to chat to homeowners.
Where marketing is concerned, VB may do their bit to raise the profile of the UK as a destination. Maybe. But marketing for individual owners? Nada. Our three properties are on the VE website; we've even paid in the past to have them in the Self Catering guide and Pets Come Too (I know this because the books are sitting on my shelf). And yes, we can leave our leaflets in the local TIC.

We haven't had a single enquiry sourced from VB in the time we've been with them - say 2.5 years, so roughly equivalent to one property for 7 years. VB don't see it as their role to promote their website listings - try a tight google search that should pull up a particular property without actually naming it, and the VB listing almost certainly won't appear - instead they leave that to the savvy listing sites. The chances of picking up a booking from a TIC are very slim (even more so when they close most of them in the next couple of years), and I see that as a much more likely vehicle for B&B and guest houses/hotels; ie drop in enquiries from guests searching for accommodation that night or the next.

That just leaves the VB star rating as a marketing tool that I can use to differentiate our properties. Useful in the initial period of going to the market, and also handy to get a critical eye cast over the properties, but for how much longer will I consider it worth the spend? And what does it tell people anyway? (Call from guest arriving yesterday - "will there be an iron and ironing board in the cottage?" Er, yes. Obviously we didn't point out to the guest that these are essentials in the basic minimum equipment to get even a one star rating, so they don't need to ask for a four star gold property.)

That, as far as I and I suspect the majority of self catering owners are concerned, is VB's contribution to the marketing of my properties, and that is what I'm paying for. And if, as, and when they drop the rating system.......

Still, if the Minister for Trip Advisor is to be believed, previous guests will be able to convey in a few words exactly whereabouts in the vast-ranging standard of accommodation a property sits, and the level of facilities provided. So that's okay.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Windy wrote:KC - did you have any joy - they are setting up a free trial for me now - can't do any harm and I amd sure that I will be quite forthright when fending off unwanted calls later if it does not work :-) Lady W can be quite waspish at times too :-)
Hi Windy... since November when we were put back on... 5 enquiries and 1 booking. Of course, it's nice to have the booking but it was a week that would have filled without any trouble anyway, so it's not doing enough to get me to go with a paid entry.
Windy wrote:Have to say the site looks good at first glance but it does seem to have a few oddities - e.g lodges don't seem to be listed with self-catering but under holiday parks. I giuess the bottom line is does it bring it off-peak bookings.
Same with us - we're not listed under 'self-catering' either, but instead under 'apartments'.
Windy wrote:I am still loooking for the next Lets Stay - a good local listing site that doesn't cost a stupid amount for a listing where I won't be fighting with 70 lodge competitors within 5 miles.

Maybe I'm dreaming?
It's a difficult one, isn't it? As soon as they become any good, they seem to get an influx...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.