Web Design - part 1: Pin the tail on the donkey

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Garri

Post by Garri »

whilst I accept that my photogallery may not be to everyone's taste, I don't think it would put anyone off Le Gaillon would it? Well I hope not anyway!
Who knows.

I think you're missing my point. The content of your gallery is great but the usability isn't. You were inspired by a full page ad in a magazine but your gallery needs to be scrolled - therefore losing any impact that first inspired you.

If you kept it all above the fold it would be a massive improvement.
Garri, I am interested to know - did you notice that whilst my photogallery has that first page with a load of thumbnails, it also has 4 other pages of full-sized photos that you can access - interior, exterior, views, garden - which can be accessed by clicking on the links at the top and bottom of the page. If you did not notice these links, can you suggest a way that I can make them more obvious?
I didn't bother to scroll down the page enough to see the other 4 pages but I notice they're at the top now (not sure if they were there yesterday)

I am invited to Hover over any of the images below for a description, and click to enlarge... - but I don't get any description.

You need to add a title attribute title="This is a picture"
Then it will appear as a yellow tool tip thingy when I mouse over the image.

Also, to see a larger image I have to click, then use back button, then click on another one, then use the back button etc etc. I might get a larger image, I might not.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ju wrote: I think your photo gallery is better than the one Garri suggested. I don't quite understand why you would want to click on the thumbnails for more detail, you can see them perfectly clearly as they are, and there are plenty of big photos on the following pages.
I have to agree with that, the thumbnails are sufficient as is. The example I gave was illustrating better usability when browsing through a gallery. Like I said, it wasn't perfect but a decent attempt.

If you must make them clickable then look at some solutions:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/

Works on modern browsers but probably not old ones. But the treatment is nice.
Ju

Post by Ju »

That is very neat Garri. I may try and use it on our site. Thanks

Ju
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ju, tread carefully as this is an AJAX solution and may not work on older browsers. There was another variation on this theme, so I'll try and dig up the link.