How many paid sites do you use ?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

How many PAID sites do you use for advertising ?

None, I use my own site only
4%
1 paid site
4%
2 paid sites
21%
3 paid sites
39%
4 paid sites
21%
5 paid sites
4%
More than 5 paid sites
7%

Total votes: 28

kevincohr

How many paid sites do you use ?

Post by kevincohr »

I am interested in finding out how many paid sites people use to advertise their property. Is there an "optimum" number ?

(Note : please include only PAID sites in this poll. I will post a separate poll for FREE sites later.)

Any comments on whether you have increased / decreased with experience would also be welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Kevin,

I use three paid-for websites plus one printed brochure which includes a website. Total expenditure is about £500.

I monitor annual performance and replace any which are under-performing. For me, under-performing is quite an achievement as my expectations are very modest; a couple of bookings is all I ask of any individual website.

Recommendations, introductions, "word of mouth" selling and returners far outnumber all website bookings - about 2 to 1.

I don't have a personal website although that may be a project for this coming winter.

I don't use free sites. I tried one or two but they didn't even produce a single enquiry - a complete waste of my time in setting them up. I get more interest through the local information office.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Keven -

Interesting poll. Thanks for setting it up.

I started with 3 paid sites (VRBO, Greatrentals, vacationrentals.com), and went to 4 (Holiday-Rentals.com, VRBO, Greatrentals, Vacationvillas) this year.

Next year, I was thinking of dropping all paid sites as Google Adwords is bringing in the vast majority of my bookings via my personal website. The paid sites tend to send way more tire kickers.

If I keep any paid site in the coming year it will be either VRBO or Holiday-Rentals.

For me, free sites were a total waste of time. I'll write about that if you post a free site poll.

Look forward to reading more here. Thanks again!
Deb Kleber
www.VisitingPortugal.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Deb,
How much does "Google Adwords" cost you per annum?
Best,
Alexia.
debk

Post by debk »

Alexia ... I've got four properties so I imagine my math is a bit different than others.

I decided that it was worth €800-1400 per year per property to not have to update a bunch of paid sites and calendars. (I'm supposed to be enjoying early retirement! :) ) So I have Google Adwords set to run wild. It can hit €500 per month (€125/property) in a busy month without my worrying about it. With that kind of coverage, I'm keeping the properties booked about 40-50% per year which is our goal (100% = 52 weeks/year) and turn away bookings regularly. Most every booking from a paid site was for high-season, which is why I'm considering dropping them all and just going with Adwords while it's working.

One reason I would keep VRBO is because they link to our site and I want the incoming link in case it helps with SEO.

I should have mentioned that I only have one of the properties (the largest) on those 4 paid sites. The others I only have on H-R, with very unimpressive results.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Thank you, Deb. One of these days I might have the time to look into adwords ..... you've given me something to start with.
Best,
Alexia.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I advertise on 10 pay sites, 2 of which are French, prices range from £25 to £250 per year). I spend approximately 4% of turnover on advertising, some of the sites are better than others (H-R.com, for example brings in a lot of business), but all of them bring in some few bookings. I also seem to still be on the Chez Nous internet site, which I haven't paid for (I stopped advertising with them a couple of years ago, they have forgotten to remove my listing), but I'm not complaining! I have 3 properties and always manage to get at least the 3rd one listed free. I still get most bookings through my own website, which generally comes up on the first page of google if a search is done on any combination of 'brittany cottage pool'. I am lucky to have a relevant website address for the rental business.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Some of this thread has moved to Bookings:

viewtopic.php?t=1147

It's about targeting particular markets in your advertising, and how to fill the shoulder season.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

Thanks to those of you who replied to the poll.

Using data from here and other sources, I published the results of my research here :

http://www.compareownerholidayrentals.c ... _sites.htm

Regards,

Kevin