Wierd Telephone Call!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Guest3

Wierd Telephone Call!

Post by Guest3 »

On Saturday I had a phone call from what seemed like an elderly gentleman enquiring about 'the villa rental business'. He phoned through on the villa mobile number and the line wasn't very good and we were cut off.

Anyway, got the same gentleman on the phone this morning and I think he said his name was Mr Hatchpole (could have been Catchpole), and he said he had his property listed on 'Villarentals' and wanted to know how the site was performing for our villa. I don't have our villa listed on the 'Villarentals'. When I asked him where he got my name and contact number he said it was from the listing site, but couldn't remember the exact website name!

His telephone number was recorded on my mobile as 1983855458...but when I tried to ring, the number was not recognized. So what puzzles me is how could he have called from this number?

Has anyone else received any similar calls?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Crystal,

Yes, I've recently had three calls like that. They were from different people, they were not talking from a script and I took them to be genuine enquiries about "who should I advertise with?".

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I can't understand the wierd telephone number. He did say he was ringing from England...but it doesn't look like a UK number. Normally if we get any international calls the whole telephone number is recorded including country code (unless they have a block on the number), but this number registered exactly as I've detailed above. Wierd.
spbowman

Post by spbowman »

The telephone number belongs to a company based on the Isle of Wight, Holiday Villa Costa Del Sol (www.holiday-villa-costa-del-sol.com) .It belongs to a Mr Hatchwell of the same address and there is also a connection with a company operating in Spain under the name Mijas. He's probably touting for business.
spbowman

Post by spbowman »

Also connected with a 'search engine' for "small to medium enterprise businesses" (including holiday rentals), ufindus.co.uk.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Thank SP...now it all makes sense!
de Orellana Plantagenet T

Post by de Orellana Plantagenet T »

I have received two calls similar to this in the past three days. Probably due to the fact that people are now making bookings for the summer?