removing glue from vinyl pool liner - any tips?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
memes

removing glue from vinyl pool liner - any tips?

Post by memes »

Like many of you we have suffered from yellow stains from suntan lotions round our water line so 2 years ago had a matching blue piece of vinyl stuck as a band about a foot wide all around the pool which covered the problem nicely. This is now looking tired so we have bought a new self adhesive band to replace it with a snazzy pattern from the UK.
This has to be put on a clean smooth surface so we pulled off the old band - this has left a thick layer of the glue used to attach it and its proving a nightmare to remove. I have tried petrol, pure alcohol, detergent, wd40, loath to try acetone as I think it will melt the vinyl underneath but nothing so far except pure muscle and a metal scraper seem to get it off and thats in little itty bitty bits. I'm obviously being mega careful as I dont want to damage the liner. Its taking about 2 hours to clear a 50 cm stretch and the pool is 10m x 5m - my arms are going to fall off soon!
We have so much to do before our first guests arrive on June 11, were very ambitious about improvements this year and currently working about 14 hr days to have everything ready and beautiful in time - if anyone can suggest a way of speeding up the glue removal I'd be very grateful.
Cheers
Memes
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I once had the same problem and my arms still ache at the thought of it! We now have tiles!

I can't remember what I used but I'm pretty sure it would have been either the liquid that you buy for cleaning the water line or Astonish paste. Whichever it was I would have used a sponge scouring pad with it.

Good luck.