Holiday Letting (again)

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
kteee

Post by kteee »

After several emails from yet another 'customer service' person at HL, I'm no further forward - they are a complete waste of time and I'm just sorry that I was persuaded to renew and am stuck with them for another 11 months, I won't make that mistake again no matter what they promise!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Kteee - have you tried asking them to ring you (if you don't want to go to the expense of ringing them)? Sometimes it is easier to get your message across that way (and put them on the spot).

I told this girl I spoke to that some people on this forum had received very poor customer service and I was curious to know why I had never had a problem and other people did. I asked if there were different people dealing with different areas and you might be getting someone different. There are different people for various aspects of the business but it is a very small set up - only eight people in the office she said, (but this might be just her section I suppose - I think she was customer relations) so you must be hitting the unhelpful one. But frankly, I think they are over a barrel with the TripAdvisor thing and there is nothing they can do but put a positive spin on it.

Boosting bookings is another matter and they do seem quite free with the extras lately.....
kteee

Post by kteee »

I have had several conversations with them, as well as emails and finally, after speaking to four different people, we have reached a settlement this afternoon.

I have voted with my feet - should have heeded my gut instinct at renewal time last month - and they have accepted my point of view, so a rather unpleasant situation has been resolved, and thank goodness, I'm now off the website
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Boosting bookings is another matter and they do seem quite free with the extras lately.....
Do tell!
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Apexblue - I took one ad off as I was getting so few enquiries/bookings and was considering removing the second a few months ago so I suppose they wanted to keep me.

A very nice man (why am I the only one who gets the nice ones?) gave me a free spotlight for 3 weeks and an early or late deal offer thing, both to be taken in the next year, timing to suit me.

I have had a dearth of enquiries lately (absolutely none in April and only one in May and she booked somewhere else...) and still have a week free in June, very soon and the second half of August also, so I put the spotlight thing on a couple of weeks ago and it has upped the views/hits but not generated ANY enquiries! Nice to be looked at, but I want ACTION! Basically too many properties in the area. My guests tell me that they found it a nightmare to choose as there is TOO much choice on the site. I guess that some go away and find somewhere that is not an enormous site so they don't feel overwhelmed. I am hoping now that having reviews might swing them towards me.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

FelicityA wrote:....a free spotlight for 3 weeks and an early or late deal offer thing, both to be taken in the next year, timing to suit me.
Have availed of late deals a few times (only paid for once). Waste of time, for me anyway. Definitely would not spend my hard earned cash on deals or premium listings.
Last edited by Maurmc on Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Same for us FA.

Free featured listing and late deal hits off the scale but NO bookings!

Has anyone else noticed Sykes on HL have drastically reduced their rates?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

lorca

Post by lorca »

Maurmc wrote:
FelicityA wrote:....a free spotlight for 3 weeks and an early or late deal offer thing, both to be taken in the next year, timing to suit me.
Have availed of late deals a few times (only paid for once). Waste of time, for me anyway. Definately would not spend my hard earned cash on deals or premium listings.
We had that free deal once - regarding another issue that we had with HL. Resulted in zilch for us as well
If not now, when?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Just renewing 2 out of 5 we have with HL with £50 off, free co-location and free late deal.

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've just spoken to HL and asked them if they can interface my existing TA reviews (which I have via my hotel speciality lodging listing on TA, nothing to do with paid advertising) with the HL ads. They can, which is great for me as I don't have to ask for separate reviews to be done in the future. :D
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I've said it before in regards to HL, all the early and late offers, premium ads, spotlight etc are a con. Excuse the expression but it's apt, it's "like throwing shit against the wall" in the hopes that some will stick. It doesn't. The extras are aimed at bringing funds into an ailing business. They are also given free when complaints are received. We received our money back after complaining, if we did, then you should be treated in the same way.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Chianti wrote: The extras are aimed at bringing funds into an ailing business.
On what basis are they an 'ailing' business, Chianti?
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

Hi
I agree! I know they have to market themselves, but you do wonder...
We won;t be renewing our HL subscription after this yer. It used to bring plenty of business but so far we haven't had a single proper enquiry from them since way back in 2010.

Oddly enough I spoke to our residents this week who confessed to being avid holiday cottage goers (for want of a better term). They told me that they have stopped using HL because there are now too many agencies advertising their properties on it. They said that if they wanted to book through an agency they'd go to an agency site. They prefer to book straight with the owner and so use sites they know are 'agency free'. I wonder if anyone else is finding this?
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I wonder if anyone else is finding this?
I am Unibond and I know that's why OD are so popular with my guests.
I also complained that there were too many agent villas on the site. That was 2 years ago and I walked because of it. Obviously the agent didn't get much from HL as many of the properties were removed 12mths later.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My property will be going back on HL soon, not of my choosing, but as part of the property portfolio that my manager advertises on there. It will be three or four apartments all in my residence. She is getting most of her bookings through there, but when mine stands alone on there, I get nothing. As I won't be paying the fee for the ad, it will be interesting to see what happens.