WiFi as a quality extra. What do you think?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The number of times I encounter resistance to providing WiFi tends to make me question my judgement.

It is good to hear that I am not off the mark. The early days of the internet in the UK c 1997/8, I was given advice from a well known international counsultancy based in London that you had to obtain written permission to link to another web site... even then, that was laughable.

Perhaps there's still a lingering resistance out there.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Windy

Post by Windy »

Sorry but I wouldn't dream of renting a place without WIFI now and that's not just work orientated.

Anyone who owns a smart phone is so plugged in these days that it's almost unthinkable not to have access to the online world to get information. What's on, where to go etc etc.

Trekking to the Tourist Info Centre was so C20 (mainly because they've closed most of them now)
tandrash

WiFi

Post by tandrash »

I would strongly recommend offering Internet Broadband and WiFi in your properties as this is now something many visitors require. This applies to business and leisure. It is particularly important for foreign visitors wishing to use who would otherwise have to pay large mobile internet charges. It also keeps the children happy.
Jez Lister
Serviced Apartments Leeds
Serviced Apartments Manchester, Liverpool, York
Last edited by tandrash on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

The majority of our guests bring a lap top with them.
It is great to double check on up to date opening times and costs for attractions in the area too although we do provide this in a brochure form. Good for checking flights and booking in.
We have had hard wired broadband for quite a few years and don't charge for the unlimited usage.
I am sure our bookings are fairly good partly due to this and we are often asked specifically about the type, speed etc., from prospective guests, so they must be considering this when thinking about booking.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've now moved off the WiFi question as I think it is no longer a desirable but often an essential these days with our guests. What I am starting to debate is 'should I include a printer'.
I say this because last year we were asked several times by guests if they could use our printer. We're on site, so no problem.
Examples:
Printing out club tickets (big demand)
Printing out boarding passes (change of flight etc)
Printing out info (directons/maps to a particular restaurant they wanted to try)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
camel

subject

Post by camel »

Can, one not provide a dongle & the guest can top it up ?Besides with use of iphone, Blackberry etc. Do we need other forms, such as wifi etc.

The guest will not be doing some serious surfing downloading large files etc.
la vache!

Re: subject

Post by la vache! »

camel wrote:Can, one not provide a dongle & the guest can top it up ?Besides with use of iphone, Blackberry etc. Do we need other forms, such as wifi etc.

The guest will not be doing some serious surfing downloading large files etc.
As guest, I would prefer unlimited, free broadband. 3G doesn't work in my cottages anyway (there is no signal as the walls are so thick), so a dongle would be useless.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree about the printer. Even if people have laptops, they still need to print out boarding cards. We provide WiFi (unlimited fortunately) in all apartments and a PC with printer in our reception area for anyone who wants to use it.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

OMG - a printer, what next? I still haven't made my mind up about WIFI! What happens when it goes wrong, as they often do?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

kyreniagirl wrote:OMG - a printer, what next? I still haven't made my mind up about WIFI! What happens when it goes wrong, as they often do?
I wouldn't put a printer into rental homes. I have one and am occasionally asked to print out flight details for guests, which I'm happy to do. However as most of my guests don't fly here, it is rare.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think printers are mostly foolproof. Plus anyone who has one at home is used to the basic problems experienced.

Thing is here in a rural area for anyone to get access to a printer it's probably a hike down to a resort to get to an internet cafe (that's if you know where one is)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Margaret wrote:I agree about the printer. Even if people have laptops, they still need to print out boarding cards.
We're in a rural area too and this has never come up to date; seventh season this year. What's the betting someone asks, now I have said that!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be