Giving a Travel Writer a Freebie

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Hanorah

Giving a Travel Writer a Freebie

Post by Hanorah »

A travel writer doing a book on historical and cultural turkey made a request through responsible travel for a free night at our villa. They said they would be featuring both the Villa and hotel nearby. They have said I can check with Hunter publishing and have also faxed a copy of the contract. As Dikili is largely unknown I think it is a good chance for some free publicity. The writer did say they would feature the villa regardless of whether the free night was given or not. I would imagine the write up would be more favourable if we agreed and it is only a night but it is slightly out of season so we will have to arrange for a preclean etc so would end up out of pocket. What would you do?
Always Learning
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Give him a free night after the review is published and if it is favourable :lol:
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Ju

Post by Ju »

I'm not sure about this. If you think he is genuine then it could well be worth the cost of the clean for the free advertising.

I would certainly ring up the publishers and see what they have to say.

Ju
janskov

Post by janskov »

Last year I gave a free week to a writer and photographer from travelersdigest.com.
The fellow was quite a character and the town is still talking about him.
My housekeeper didn’t much appreciate them. She claimed the house smelled of “men� and needed much cleaning when they left.
They gave me recommendations and free links from their travel site and I am getting click-through from them every day. You never know.
The week I gave them was off-season and would not have been sold anyway.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

I think I will go for it. It is only a night and we are flexible on handover days off peak. The eventual book will be sold in a book chain Barnes and Noble and also online on Amazon. Hope she likes it though!
Always Learning
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

This is not unusual. I have a few journos who contribute articles to me. They are quite often absent on freebies.

I've decided to publish an "other Euro destination" travel series on my website.

All those wanting good reverse links (particularly if based Barbados) , please mail me for details of my best offer !

Peter

tongue in cheek !
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com