EPCs needed for holiday lets in England & Wales from Jul

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Cotterdale wrote:Has anyone had any news about the Energy Performance Certificate do we need to get one or wait?
On EASCO's Facebook page April 15th:
On the issue of Energy Performance Certificates, the DCLG are proving intransigent and uncommunicative. They're still sticking to their view that they have the right to insist on EPCs under existing legislation. EASCO has submitted a freedom of Information request to actually see the legal advice on which they have based the decision. We've also written to Tourism Minister John Penrose MP asking for some political intervention in a measure that makes no sense and runs contrary to government policy to reduce red tape.
AFAIK the legal point being argued on our behalf by EASCO is that the original legislation refers to places occupied by "tenants", which would appear to exclude holiday lettings. Aside from the legal technicalities, EASCO have also made the point that the application of EPC requirements for short term holiday accommodation is, in so many words, a load of bo££ocks. But that's taking a common sense stance which is a fairly pointless exercise when it comes to government bureaucracy (hence beating up the bureaucrats with the legal point).

There's nothing new from VE since March 14th, but as a government funded organisation they're not allowed to lobby the government in situations where their members' interests are at odds with government intentions.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Latest news from EASCO on the situation isn't great; it seems they're hitting a bureaucratic brick wall in their requests for responses on the definition of "tenant", as used in the EPC legislation. The government guidelines have merely been adjusted to state that holiday lets are included.

This is obviously a legal challenge; EASCO have also highlighted the obvious nonsense of applying the requirement for EPC's to a property where the occupants won't much care about the energy performance, and in most cases won't be paying for energy use directly anyway. Alongside that is the point that some properties may well perform very badly on heating costs due to their age, lack of insulation etc etc; the fact that many such properties aren't actually let during the winter won't be taken into account. These are the common sense arguments which have been dismissed out of hand; hence EASCO are concentrating on the legal aspect.

In an attempt to get some response, EASCO have issued a formal request under the Freedom of Information Act to see the legal advice that the relevant government department has received, and on which the decision is based. (There is a subtext which rather seems to suggest that there probably isn't any......) Further to this, EASCO are seeking advice from a QC as to whether the existing law includes holiday lets.

I've received this information as a member of EASCO (the English Association of Self Catering Operators). Apart from being a member of what is our trade organisation, which I think costs me about forty quid pa, I have no connection with EASCO. If anyone else feels that they and our industry in general might benefit from membership, EASCO's website is www.englishselfcatering.co.uk There are equivalent, and related, bodies for Wales and Scotland.

In the same EASCO newsletter today there's further information on the forthcoming additional regulations that will make it illegal to refuse a booking from a group of 18 year olds, and how to respond.

Edited to make link work - thanks Windy!
Last edited by greenbarn on Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

GB - I think anybody who takes their business in England seriously should be joining Easco.

They are the only body who do anything for our interests and need as much active support as is possible.

As you point out the last newsletter was full of interesting and relevant information - this is one body that really is worth the annual subscription - thanks for putting us on to it.

Your link has a full stop in it which stops it working...

Try this http://www.englishselfcatering.co.uk/home.asp if you want to find out more
Last edited by Windy on Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Thanks Windy - full stop removed - link now works.

Good to know that the Minister for Trip Advisor wants to remove much of the red tape and bureaucracy that shackles us, but I don't think I'll be dropping my support for EASCO just yet......
Devon Dumpling

EPCs

Post by Devon Dumpling »

EASCO have now received legal advice - see their Facebook page.
Phil Schofield

Post by Phil Schofield »

There is also some advice in the article below, but the situation is still unclear.

http://energyassessormagazine.com/Holid ... chaos.aspx
Devon Dumpling

Energy Assessor Mag

Post by Devon Dumpling »

Thanks Phil - I've printed that off and it makes interesting reading!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Gave in and are having ours done this week - will be on file when we come to sell in 5 years.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Devon Dumpling

EPAs

Post by Devon Dumpling »

Well I'm fully booked for June so I couldn't anyway - can't have an assessor in the way on changeover day. How are you going to supply the EPC to new guests (ie bookings taken after 30th June) before they book (ie at the time of decision)? My agent isn't geared up to do this as most people book on the internet and EPA info is not shown on property details.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We are fully booked so getting the assessor in on changeover day - only takes about 20 minutes on each one.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

shamac

Post by shamac »

And if I take the view that this is another load of the steaming stuff and just don't bother.... then what???
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Have been reading this since the start & just don't know what to do? How much does it cost to have the repost done please?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kyreniagirl wrote:Have been reading this since the start & just don't know what to do? How much does it cost to have the repost done please?
I think it's of the order of £30 -£50 per property, but I could be wildly out - AFAIK there's no fixed rate so it's down to local market forces.

I've been looking at the Government website. Anyone else looked? Can anyone point to anything on there that tells me that I now need an EPC for a holiday rental?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We were charged £45 each whether for 2, 3 or 4 bedroom. Could of got it cheaper but assessor was willing to do on a Saturday changeover.

peterft

EPCs

Post by peterft »

The general consensus would appear to be to NOT get an EPC yet but to wait until the Local Goverment Trading Standards people sort out their differences with the central government DCLG. EASCO have advised such an approach and it seems wise advice. A mixture of local and central government differences of opinion should hold up implementation for some while, maybe for ever (some hope). I'm not wasting my money until I know it's a done deal. After all, it will only sit in a drawer as, according to the legislation, the Booking Agents are not required to show the EPC details on their websites or in their brochures. The EPC suppliers are trying to panic owners into getting them done with wildly different interpretaions of the legislation - purely a rip off. If Trading Standards are not (and probably won't be for a long while) in a position to police the so-called legislation, why bother.