Gites in France

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
moose

Gites in France

Post by moose »

We are about to start our first year of gite rental in France. Up til now I've had a micro-business and was planning to declare the gite earnings in 'any other income'.

But I'm thinking of closing the micro down - I know you don't need a siret no. to run a gite but is it as simple as just doing a tax return ( :shock: ) and topping up our health insurance?

Are there any other pitfalls I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Moose,
I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that I think your website is Fab!
roxytoo

website

Post by roxytoo »

yes I'll second that!! :lol:
Ju

Post by Ju »

Are you resident in France? If you are then you need to fill in a tax return in any case, and can add your gite rental income onto a seperate form (ask the tax office, I can't remember what number the form is). As long as your gite rental is not your main income there is no problem with this.

I believe that your health cotestations are based on your declared income for the year, so will automatically include the rental income. (for the previous year)

Ju
moose

Post by moose »

Thanks guys - but I can't take the credit for it - I've a very clever friend who helped!!!!

Thanks Ju for your info, we are resident in France and have done tax returns (tho it gets more complicated for my husband as he travels so much he's neither in UK or France enough days per year...etc etc but thats what the accountant is sorting out).

So no, it isn't our main source of income. Would it have any implications on child benefit if I'm technically out of the system?

I'm not sure if I've understood health ins top up but does that mean its means tested and we'd pay more if it was related to my husbands income as opposed to my lowly one in the micro?!!
Sorry if I'm being a bit blonde on this point!!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Means tested isn't really the right word. The health cotestations are basically a tax. Along with the URRSSAF, and retrait they make up the equivalent of the UK National insurance. Hence the more you earn the more you pay.

For the healthcare the obligatory contributions will pay for about 70% of your treatment, depending on the treatment, and the rest either you pay or you take out Top up insurance to cover it.

If by child benefit you mean the Allocations famillies (ie family allowance) this is not linked to earnings.

If you've already got an accountant then I'd let him sort it all out for you.

Ju