Satillite Broadband

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Rogthedodge

Satillite Broadband

Post by Rogthedodge »

Good morning good people.

Has anyone had this installed, if so, does it do what they say?

It is probably cheaper than having a phone line put in. Got this link from the ex pats site.

http://www.broadband-algarve.net/avanti.html

Thanks

Roger
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I would only consider this if you are very remote and it would be very expensive to install a phone line.

You'll need to install a satellite dish (extra cost ??)
The monthly fees are not very competitive to phone based services from Sapo, MEO etc. These services typically include phone and unlimited downloads and faster speeds for the same sort of price.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I can only speak for France, and if I had any other option I would have taken it. Expensive 3 or 4 times normal phone broadband, slow (very even though we have 100% accuracy) and we use about a giga a day, for nothing special.
Peaceful-Portugal

Satellite Broadband

Post by Peaceful-Portugal »

I have satellite broadband here in central portugal and only because its not available via the land line, although PT true to their word are currently installing fibre optics so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I've had satellite broadband for 5 years, I cannot fault the service but it's NOT cheaper than SAPO, Meu, Clix or Simplesnet can offer. There are no 'unlimited downloads' prices start from £25 per month, dish, modem & installation are extra. I have Tooway on Eurobird but all new subscriptions are on Hotbird with faster download speeds now the new satellite has been launched. If you are serious about satellite internet contact Bentley Walker, you won't get it cheaper anywhere else:

http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/