EPCs needed for holiday lets in England & Wales from Jul

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

We paid £50 but we gave her the keysafe number and let her get on with it. She was excellent, went in at a time that impacted on nobody and sent us the details via email.
I wish I was on the golf course
Annew

Post by Annew »

I have just had a very illuminating conversation with Devon Trading Standards.

I have been told definitively that EPC's will not be needed for holiday lets, only for properties on which a tenancy has been agreed - ie, not a rental for the purposes of holiday accommodation. However, long lets, eg winter lets, will require an EPC on the property.

They were at pains to point out that this relates just to Devon and that other Trading Standards offices may chose to interpret the guidelines differently.

I'm therefore quite glad I didn't fork out the cash for another useless piece of paper!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
peterft

EPCs

Post by peterft »

That's interesting because I have just had a similar conversation with Devon TS. Can't believe that the DCLG tree huggers won't give in without a fight though. However, certainly worth waiting rather than taking the advice of the EPC provider panic mongers. I wonder if those who took the bait will be able to get their money back.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Just been told 10 year EPC's MAY be reduced to 3 years.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Really? What next.....!

I'm fortunate that I have one already, but I think I would be ignoring all this until it's sorted like a good ostrich!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nemo wrote:
I'm fortunate that I have one already, but I think I would be ignoring all this until it's sorted like a good ostrich!
I'm wondering if it's going to take a test case to settle it, with EASCO wading in with their QC's opinion that the imposition of EPC's on holiday rentals is unlawful under the existing legislation.

Would everyone then get a refund of the expenses they'd incurred getting an EPC? :lol: :lol: :lol:
peterft

Post by peterft »

It needs some form of legal case to sort this out as both EASCO's legal opinion and Trading Standards, Devon in particular, believe the 'legislation' to be flawed. Most people would have got their EPC's after listening to EPC providers who, lets face it, needed the work. However, reading some of their publicity, I think they came very close to asking for money under false pretences.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just seen this thread, got a EPC this week and have posted my experience here
viewtopic.php?t=15216
Essar

EPC

Post by Essar »

We've just been through VisitEngland accrediation (21st June) and the Accreditor Person told us that they have been told to ignore them for the moment, after having been told in April that they would be compulsory after June 22nd. Local trading standards (B'Mouth) say not required until legislation is sorted out. Both my properties are fairly recent new builds so we have them anyway.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I'm still sitting on my hands & waiting to see on this one!!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Parliament Considers EPC Issue
.by English Association of Self Catering Operators on Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 8:31pm.Andrew Stevenson, MP for Pendle, said last Tuesday in the House of Commons: That brings me on to the question of who we class as a “tenant”. During the debate on 14 June, the Under-Secretary made the point that the way in which the DCLG was interpreting the European directive was that people renting the cottages in this country were “tenants”. That view has been robustly rejected by the English Association of Self Catering Operators, which has obtained a 16-page Queen’s counsel’s opinion on this matter.

Bill Wiggin MP for the Government stated that: "I have investigated this and it seems to be a classic case of gold-plating. We have made inquiries to establish the position in other European Union countries and it seems that, as my hon. Friend said, EPCs are not required for holiday lets in a number of other member states, including Germany, Sweden and Denmark—he also mentioned France and Scotland. It gives me great pleasure to tell the House that we should have a clearly defined position on this within the next few weeks."

This seems to hint that progress may be on the way.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Thanks for the update apex.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Surely not some common sense? Shome mishtake surely? :wink:
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

bump :P

No further news I assume? :)
Andy Smith
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Mark Prisk MP, Minister of State at the Department for Business and Enterprise, has confirmed in a letter to EASCO that the government will not require an EPC for a holiday home unless there is a tenancy created. The distinguishing factor will therefore be whether a tenancy exists, and this is a matter of law. In a normal holiday home rental situation there is no tenancy. The EASCO standard terms and conditions, which are available for members only to use, have been judged by our QC as constituting a licence, not a tenancy
So who do we ask for a refund from?