Sort of under occupancy...

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
cc

Sort of under occupancy...

Post by cc »

we are just about to open our 4 roomed B&B and the second booking enquiry we have received wants to book 2 rooms for a week in peak season but doesn't want us to let the other two rooms. They are prepared to pay extra for the privilege but how much extra should we charge them? On the one hand we are losing 50% of our potential income for that week but charging them double doesn't seem reasonable and would probably lose us the booking.
Any opinions especially if you have been in a similar situation would be welcome.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

As its your first season if you are just opening up then I can understand that you must be keen to get this booking and of course you have no idea of the pattern your bookings will take. We have been offering chamber d hotes in France for 4 years now and I can only speak of the experience that I have had and as stated before in previous threads we find that 75% of our bookings are normally made 4 to 6 weeks before the planned date of arrival.
It would seem that these people would be best suited to maybe a villa but also want the added benefits of service that come with a bed and breakfast.
If I were currently put in that position I think I would charge for 3 rooms
Nessie
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hear, hear Nessie. I think folk tend to forget that we run businesses here, not charities. The guests should be made aware that while you're grateful for their booking, they're also potentially losing you income. I for one am tired of being asked for discounts for this that and the other. We believe we're priced to sell weeks, so it rankles a bit when it happens. I took an enquiry the other day for October 2007, and the enquirer was a ticket/travel agency who asked if we offered discounts for travel agencies. My answer was that they should feel free to add on any mark-up to their client that they feel they can get away with, but not to ask for discounts from us as we're already fairly well priced. It may be me, but I never used to ask for stuff like that when booking a holiday. I'm the one that never claimed on insurances either. Sorry, rant over, I'll go back to plastering now!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with Stu and Syb, you are running a business not a charity. I can appreciate that it is your first season and that you may consider "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and all that. But as my late mother in law liked to say "a bird in the hand s**ts on your wrist!"

I think charging for three rooms would be reasonable, as you would only have breakfasts and linen to do for two rooms. If you were a hotel you would charge for all four rooms, bear this in mind.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Stu & Syb,
and the enquirer was a ticket/travel agency who asked if we offered discounts for travel agencies
I wonder, does the same travel agency offer discounts to holiday property owners?

Alan
cc

Post by cc »

Thanks very much for the feedback. We'll ask for the extra and see what happens.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I wonder, does the same travel agency offer discounts to holiday property owners?

Alan[/quote]

Alan,

had I been in a more ascerbic mood I'd probably have asked! I've already knocked over 200 Euros off the price of a fortnight in June for a Dutch family, as they said we were too expensive compared to others! When we actually looked, we're a long way away from being expensive, but it's our first full season, so we were keen to get the booking. Now that I've seen how many enquiries we're getting, I shan't be doing the same again!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Stu & Syb, you live and learn. I used to jump through hoops the first year.

Couple of weeks ago I had and enquiry and sent back with the price and availability. (even though it is on the web). I got back a simple "Thanks, but it is too expensive". I don't know if I was expected to negotiate or what but I just replied, "Okay, thanks for letting us know". I know when they look around they'll get a coalhole if it is much cheaper, we carefully researched other properties in the area with similar facilities and are sure our prices are okay. I know the people who are happy to pay the advertised price will probably be much happier with their holiday than someone who has maybe "knocked some off" and may be a moaner!! Good luck!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Cheers for that Sue! We sometimes feel we should be running an Oxfam shop rather than trying to create a beautiful place for folk to come on holiday. I bet you'va all gone through the same thing from time to time?

Anyway, back to plastering....oh joy!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

People seem to try all sorts of things... you get those asking for your 'best price' (depends on what mood I'm in....) and others who send an enquiry via one of the rental website where the enquiry form asks for number of people.... ours clearly states we sleep 6 but maximum of 8 on 2 sofa beds... and I explain that this is suitable for overnight visitors rather than a 2 week holiday. I regularly get people wanting to book for 10, 11 and once 13 people..... where are they going to put them all??? Particularly Italian or Spanish enquirers seem to want to shoehorn everyone in....

Maybe they are just sending blanket enquiries to lots of properties but you still have to reply and say no.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I think it maybe comes down to having confidence in your "product" and realising its worth which comes in time.

In the early days despite slightly undercutting nearby comparible properties I used to worry if my charges were expensive if people questioned it and would back down a bit. Now, especially after the work we've put in and the sheer number of appreciative guests (especially the ones who are returning for their 3rd visit) I feel like I can tough it out a bit more.
enid

Post by enid »

I think it maybe comes down to having confidence in your "product" and realising its worth which comes in time.
This is good advice - we're just starting our third season and are just coming to realise this. We believe our price is very fair for what we offer and we have returners who think the same - don't be conned by the folks who want, as they say in the North of England, 'owt for nowt and tuppence change'