Website (just about) finished. Could you take a look?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have to say after my recent experience I was sacred sh**less to try and review another site. However two things influenced my decision to continue.
One lasourcetranquille is not a first time poster. And two why should one person stop me doing what I like doing?
The only further comment I can make right now is maybe disable the translation button until everything is ready.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

casasantoestevo wrote:I have to say after my recent experience I was sacred sh**less to try and review another site.
I'm glad you're not going to let one person's inability to accept criticism stop you contributing. You are a very regular 'critique' when people have asked for it, and I treat your postings as very useful, long may they continue!
casasantoestevo wrote:The only further comment I can make right now is maybe disable the translation button until everything is ready.
I think you're right - I may take down everything but the English and French for now. I'm not sure when I'll get the time to get all this translated anyway!
lasourcetranquille

In fact looking into it I think I am better leaving all the languages in as it translates the menu and various other bits on the site. I'll just have to translate the articles etc as and when I can...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

casasantoestevo wrote:I have to say after my recent experience I was sacred sh**less to try and review another site.
I think we can safely say that that was one bully who quite frankly could lock himself in a cupboard and then start a fight with himself..... :roll: Onwards and upwards!
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

In very much the same spirit as Nemo!,
Nemo wrote:Just don't take what I say as gospel! I have as much to learn as anybody and wouldn't dream of putting my current website up for exposure, as it is nothing other than a very functional site rather than one I like.... :wink:

However, we all have an eye and as Richard and Jim have said if you can accept the thoughts of others (and my you were changing things far quicker than I would have managed) then progress can be made quickly.

Would be nice for you if others gave some more opinions though!
and with reservations based on casasantostevo's experience:
here goes with some thoughts:

I liked the look of your house very much and the site is attractive. I have no technical or design expertise to offer, but speaking now purely as a potential renter, what I look for on a site (and want to find it easily or else I move on!) is:
Do the initial photos make it look like a nice place?
How many does it sleep?
Where is it (on a map as I may not recognise the town name)?
Is it available?
How much is it?
How to pay?

Initial photos very inviting, and follow ups good too - I like the slideshows a lot more than the separate galleries you had before - a big improvement.

In the leading para you say you have a double and a double which can be a twin, so sleeps 4. Later you say you also have a sofa bed - so could/would you accept a booking for 5 or 6?

I did find the map but I had to go to 'area' then 'getting here'. For me personally I would prefer a map nearer to the initial info.

Is there an availability calendar? If so I didn't find it.
Can you only book/pay through the GdF ad?
Is payment by credit card only or would you accept transfers/cheques etc?
Is there a direct link to your GdF ad? If so I didn't spot it, and had to independently go to GdF site and search for your property to find the availability calendar etc. As a potential renter rather than a reviewer would I do that? Probably not.

Hope that helps!
lasourcetranquille

Dotty wrote: Initial photos very inviting, and follow ups good too - I like the slideshows a lot more than the separate galleries you had before - a big improvement.
The links to the galleries are still there, but not so prominent now. I still need to edit the templates for these galleries but the version on each sections' page works.
Dotty wrote:In the leading para you say you have a double and a double which can be a twin, so sleeps 4. Later you say you also have a sofa bed - so could/would you accept a booking for 5 or 6?
Interestingly enough to secure 4 épis from GdeF you are not allowed to include non-permenant beds in working out your capacity. However, the sofa bed is there in case someone has a need for an extra space. I will mention it in that opening paragraph.
Dotty wrote:I did find the map but I had to go to 'area' then 'getting here'. For me personally I would prefer a map nearer to the initial info.
Excellent point - I'll get it linked from the front page and make it easier to find (in both senses!)
Dotty wrote:Is there an availability calendar? If so I didn't find it.
I've only just got the link through from our local tourist office. I've asked for a direct link to availability but I fear she went home at 1600 (this being France!) so will have to wait for that!
Dotty wrote:Can you only book/pay through the GdF ad?
I'm in the process of adding the link to booking online. At the moment it'll be in a popup which isn't ideal, but I'm waiting for a response...
Dotty wrote:Is payment by credit card only or would you accept transfers/cheques etc?
Again, that'll be made clear when I get the link done (shortly!)
Dotty wrote:Is there a direct link to your GdF ad? If so I didn't spot it, and had to independently go to GdF site and search for your property to find the availability calendar etc.
I'm just doing that now...
Dotty wrote:Hope that helps!
It most certainly does, thank you! :P
lasourcetranquille

I've now added links to the booking and availability pages. Unfortunately these are in pop-ups until I can get them properly integrated.

I'm still debating on where to put a map on the front page. In an article of its own? Added to the intro article? What do you think?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

lasourcetranquille wrote:I'm still debating on where to put a map on the front page. In an article of its own? Added to the intro article? What do you think?
My opinion (and that's all it is) would be not to put the map on the front page at all.

Your front page is the place to whet the appetite and invite people to explore more. If the front page is too cluttered it is very hard to look exciting.

Your opening paragraph explains sufficiently where the gîte is located, no need to be more precise at the outset.

I have assumed, of course that finding the map using your navigation will be very easy
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
january

Post by january »

Its' good...really really good
lasourcetranquille

Thank you! :oops:
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

Hi lasourcetranquille,

Just a couple of basic SEO tips.

You should tweak your title tags so that they include your keywords. It's one of the most important on-site SEO areas. It basically tells Google what your page is about.

The homepage title is currently:

La Source Tranquille > Home

You don't want to rank for the term 'home', so that should be removed.

Most people won't search for the 'brand name' La Source Tranquille - they search for what they're actually looking for, like 'Gite near Paris'. The brand name should come last in the title, since words at the beginning are weighted more heavily.

Example:

Gite near Paris - La Source Traquille

You can optimize different pages for different phrases. While one person might search for a gite, someone else might search for a holiday cottage.

Also, your homepage meta description is currently "Pro_News An oasis of calm".

You should change that so that it's descriptive and entices people to click through to your site when it appears on Google for a given search query.
lasourcetranquille

Thanks for that GoDot. SEO is one of the things on my 'To Do' list. I've just changed the description tag and now need to edit my theme to get the title to be a little more meaningful.

Thanks for the prod!
lasourcetranquille

I've changed the page titles too so hoping that'll help SEO. I'm trying to get it multi-lingual completely too now but that's a long-winded process!
justininspain

Post by justininspain »

I think you've done a pretty good job with the site so far. I would have structured it in a slightly different way for search engines but for now it's fine.

The only thing I would say is that your most important page perhaps needs a little attention. It's the booking page.

Someone can book by email or phoning the number on the site but why make people click a telephone to book online? It doesn't make any sense.

It's not obvious that you need to click the telephone in the first place to book online anyway, despite the text underneath it. You are better off with a big button with a good call to action instead.

Also, if I do want to book online the booking engine is all in French and the English flag doesn't work. Could put potential renters off.

Anyway, apart from that, it's a pretty good start and congrats on a lovely property!
lasourcetranquille

Thanks justininspain. The booking is a bit of a problem as, because we received grants from the local and regional councils we are tied in to having to use Gites de France for all our bookings. And their website will only allow you to book for one week stays which start on a saturday! It's a real pain and I'm pushing them to change this but you probably know the French and the internet...

I think you're right about the image - I'll change it. Also I'll change the popup as I am trying to use theirs but it really isn't designed to be used this way. I can't even get an availability calendar on my own site.. :cry:

Thanks for the comments - very kind of you. :)