Does anyone else have this problem?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
windrush

Post by windrush »

I mention the b word in my first response, if the dates are available. I just end my reply with "if you'd like any more information or a booking form, please let me know". If they then ask for a booking form, I send them one with a covering email detailing deposits, balances and dates. I've only had people disappear on me a couple of times after requesting a form.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I don't mind if I get txt spk enquiries... their money is as gud as ne1 else's. I'm selling beds, not English lessons.
Me neither, but in this instance we were booked, but I forwarded it to a friend :).
revdev

Post by revdev »

As long as you do the basics right (in answering), the rest is a bit of a mystery!

My stats:
April/May 2011 - 17 enquiries, 2 bookings (12% conversion rate)
June 2011 - 11 enquiries, 5 bookings (45% conversion rate)

What changed? Certainly my replies didn't - probably more of a reflection on the time of year and the increased motivation of the customers to secure their accomodation.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Overall this year I've had far more enquiries than ever. But so many of them have been for weeks already booked (and easy enough to see on my availability calendar so it's a bit irritating but never mind, they still get a polite reply). Unfortunately I'm slightly down on actual bookings in spite of all these enquiries.

Hopefully it will pick up next year. My neighbour, who has an identical property except for an outdoor kitchen (basically a very fancy BBQ) charges 50% more than I do and yet gets almost double the bookings I do. You could say - so up your prices so that people think they're getting something extra special - but I get too many people telling me I'm too expensive so I'm a bit scared to try that.

So basically, Kaz, no, it's not just you.
TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

Thanks everyone - that's very reassuring. I've only been renting the house out for a few months so it's all a bit trial and error! I guess I've got to learn not to take it so personally. :D
revdev

Post by revdev »

Kaz D wrote:I guess I've got to learn not to take it so personally. :D
That's the hardest job of all! :lol:
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Kaz D wrote:
I guess I've got to learn not to take it so personally.

That's the hardest job of all!
Ow Yes.................. :)

But arent you glad you found LMH, so you know that its not just you I know I am :)
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Kaz D,
I have received this:
Hallo, könnten wir die Wohnung auch für eine woche mieten?Can we rent the rooms only for 1 week?finden ihr Haus so toll ! Danke Monika H****
BOTH for a detached villa and for a 4 bedroom apartment. I am glad Monika thinks both houses are "toll" even if they are so different... :roll:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

I used to send out booking form in response to enquiry but after having a form returned (after a delay) for dates which had been booked in the meantime I don't do this any more.

Now I give the information requested and say "If you wish to go ahead our booking procedure is as follows..." and outline the steps. This seems to work better for us.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Tizfata - the enquiry is only for the apartment? Or was there a second enquiry. 'Haus' in German is used to mean 'home' as well. Doesn't mean she was commenting on your house in addition to the apartment. (Sorry if I have misunderstood and you already know this).
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

No problems Margaret. I am sorry I was not clear to write that I (and who knows how many more) received 2 different enquiries with the very same text.

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Tiz... :) Do you think both these enquiries are genuine?

We have had some rental sites 'allegedly' sending enquiries, to make their statistics look good,[just a thought] :idea:
Seems odd that exactly the same enquiry, got sent to two very different types of accommodation.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Hi Roz!
Yes, they both came through H-R...

annafern

Post by annafern »

That sort of confirms my thoughts.

And that is that the bigger the holiday cottage directory like HL and HR (Home Away) the more people will blanket their enquiry and sometimes they don't even look much beyond the first paragraph to see if your Cottage/Property is suitable.

Although i will still say both sites do bring me bookings the sell through rate is low, % wise and smaller directory have a better sell through rate.

It depends how you look at it. I was in retail for 20 years and on quiet monday we may have only got a few people through the door but sell through was high and we made good profit, whereas on a busy Saturday footfall was amazing but sales might not have been so good!!

However i also believe the more information you give about your property its more likely that enquires turn to sales.

Anna
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

I also have fielded many many emails this summer
Most seem to never check the calendar (another topic for another day) but because of that I also send much of the same info that is on the site. That way it is in a nice neat email if they decide to book. I have also attached my booking form in the initial reply that way I have completely answered their questions and given them all of the info they need to book.

I agree with Annafern the more info the better
Kate
USA