providing food

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
helene

providing food

Post by helene »

Facing the 'how do we appear more attractive to potential clients' I was wondering whether to offer some meals as an option. Unfortunatley we have just lost one of our closest restaurants so the choice for guests is limited. I was thinking of offering an evening meal (set menu and vegetarians catered for) about 2 times a week so that I could see how popular it was and how much effort it really took. I would try and serve local fresh food and whatever looked good that day. I have catered for large groups of people before but only on a dinner party basis so really do not want to overcommit myself before I test the water. I know that in France I need to have a class 2 licence for beverages (serving wine as an inclusive part of the meal) and that seems okay but am unsure whether there are additional #catering/food safety' requirements that I would have to address. I have a good location of the meals a new conservatory that is open to guest and is really very romatic overlooking the garden. We have 2 x 2 bed cottages so I would think that 8 covers would be the max.

I have not included this in any advertising so if you want to tell me this is a bad idea I am not comitted - even if I really like the idea of feeding people.

So any thoughts and experiences would be great........
Waiting in eager anticipation) 8)
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

Helene, I'm sorry I can't advise you on the legal side of your question (though I'm sure someone else may well be able to) but will offer my opinion on your idea.

As a prospective renter, particularly if there is not much to offer in terms of local eateries, something like "We can provide, if required, occasional evening set menu meals. This would be by prior arrangement and would be subject to a supplement. Local produce used where possible and vegetarian option available." this would be well received. Even if I wasn't sure I would take up the option, it would be nice to know that the possibility was there.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Helene,

I think that is a great idea. When I rent properties I would love to have the odd meal cooked for us. I think you should also make a selling point of the 'local produce and specialities' angle. The trouble with self-catering is that you have to self-cater! I don't want to do that every night if I am supposed to be on holiday.

Another way of doing it, because people may prefer their privacy, is to deliver dinner to the cottages. You could give them the option.

This will also really appeal to parents with small children, who cannot go out for dinner.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Helene, We have done this, mainly to help a friend who is a cordon bleu cook. She is expensive (30 euros per head - you can eat well in a restaurant here for that, & our friend doesn't have a restaurant's overheads) but some visitors take the option & love being served great food in their apartment. By offering the option you have nothing to lose.
Transporting food is a tricky legal problem in France, but you will be cooking on the premises.
Alexia.
http://perfectplaces.com/VictorianVilla.htm
http://perfectplaces.com/BeautifulOliveMill.htm.
helene

Post by helene »

:D Thanks to Musicmonkey, Paulo and Alexia for their thoughts and encouragement. The idea of delivery to the cottages (as an option) is also a good one as the main house (and kitchen) conservatory and the 2 cottages are all situated around the courtyard so that is easily arranged. Also the additional selling point of 'fresh local home-cooked, emphasis, etc'.

Any more thoughts/opinions are welcome
regards
helene
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

Hi Helene,

another idea (but I don't know the French legalities) is to include stuff in your welcome pack.

Before we owned our own apt in Mallorca we rented through Villa Select & their welcome pack included as well as the basics a ready-cooked cold chicken, salad & bread which we always used as soon as we arrived. So perhaps you could provide someting similar with some local charcuterie, patés etc. i.e. a gourmet picnic.

Another suggestion is to provide the ingredients for a supper that it is easy to cook themselves along with a menu/basic instructions. I'm sure a simple local dish would be very welcome.

Thirdly, how about a casserole or other one-pot dish left in the fridge to be heated up?

I realise that these may be against hygiene laws etc. so they are just ideas,

Zelda
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
Maisy

Post by Maisy »

Last year I offered my guests the option of having meal prepared for them in their gite for their first evening. With the exception of two families, one who said going out for a meal on their first evening was all part of their holiday….fair enough….the other family said they would arrive too late, everyone else said Yes! The ‘feed back’ :lol: was very encouraging. I kept it simple, as I would have done a complete change over the same day on my own, so, something like salad from the garden, cold meat, fish, cheese, (which nobody ever eats) and a pudding, usually a bought Normandie Tart from local Boulangerie, (I cant see the point of making my own, when I can buy something that tastes just as good.) I have everything laid out, and bring it at an arranged time, once they have settled in. I costed it out and made about 100% profit. When I told friend how much I charged, they said I was too cheap, but my thinking was, I wanted them to say Yes.

This year I hope to build on this and leave a short menu in the Gite, Not Cordon Bleu, there are excellent local restaurants for that – just something so Mum can have an evening off!
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks Zelda and Maisy for your ideas - I really liked the one about a first evening dinner which sounded ideal. I am not surprised about the cheese though as it seems to have gone out of favour a bit.
best wishes & thanks for taking the time to respond
Helene
PS I am definatley going ahead with it
judyc

Post by judyc »

Hi Helene

We offer a meal on the night of arrival and as much as anything find it is a great way to get to know our guests and for them to get to know each other. We serve the meal at our house, usually on the balcony overlooking a pretty valley, and it seems a much appreciated way for people to start their holiday. We state that a half bottle of wine will be included per person, but in truth have never limited the quantities consumed and TOH will inevitably bring out port and armagnac to finish.

By no means everyone takes up the offer, but we have noticed that of those who do, they are far more likely to be the guests who come back again.

It is extremely hard work, bearing in mind we can have done upto three changeovers as well, to provide a meal and bonhommie, but we feel the benefits to both the guests and ourselves far outweigh work involved.

Judy
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Judy! Image

That's a good point you make - you have to make the extra effort to get return visitors, but it's an effort worth making.
Paolo
Lay My Hat