Mailing lists: keeping a record of all interest shown

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Giddy Goat

Mailing lists: keeping a record of all interest shown

Post by Giddy Goat »

On the H-R thread currently running, AshtonDav said:

"Your mailing list is one of your most valuable marketing weapons - you want to build it with people who show interest in your property...."

to which Johnel replied

"In total agreement with you ashtondav.... An example of mailing lists in particular are garages, how many of us have had in the past bought a vehicle, mot, service, new tyre or simply a bulb replaced? Then, you receive a postcard, stating your mot is due for renewal or current special offer. All from your initial contact with them. Do you go back? Yes or no, they will invariably still postcard you incase you bite next time."

In theory, this sounds a good source of potential future bookings, and at the end of the summer I dabbled a bit with the list I'd compiled from inquiries at the beginning of this year (when we first advertised) by emailing at least a dozen re 2006 but had no replies - not even an acknowledgement. Was it too soon for most? Are those who were disappointed this year because they left it too late doing the same again?! As many of us have found, the fresh inquiries started arriving even before summer's end.

Does anyone else have first hand experience of converting a disappointed 'last year' inquiry into a delighted 'next year' one' by means of a friendly email at the right time - and when is the right time?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I have tried this twice with no luck whatsoever! So no I won't be doing it again! I had no replies even with a read reciept on! I gave an option to come off the mailing list which quite a few did. So no it hasn't worked for me!

spain rentals
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I tried once - before spamming laws were introduced - didn't receive any feedback. It would possibly work if special offers were attached.
Best,
Alexia.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If I were a customer I know I wouldn't respond positively to this sort of marketing of rental properties (in fact it would have the opposite effect for me), so I don't do it. You have just reminded me that it's about time I cleared my inbox of all those enquiries!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree -- I wouldn't respond well if I were sent something, unless it were done extraordinarily tastefully.

Which begs the question: what sort of things do you write in a mass-mailer to previous clients/inquirers?
Brooke
gh

Re: Mailing lists: keeping a record of all interest shown

Post by gh »

Johnel wrote: An example of mailing lists in particular are garages, how many of us have had in the past bought a vehicle.....
Re my earlier post, bought or in this case, stayed at your rental property before. We go through the Guest Book and Questionaire's from previous visitors who have said they would holiday with us again or said they would recommend us to friends etc, then we e-mail them after a gap of 2 yrs, at the time they 1st enquired. Advising them of improvements and e-mail pictures of these, if there visit was a non-peak date a small discount would be given. To date two bookings have been taken with this method.
We had many, like most off you, who have not responded and you get disheartened, :( dont stop, it only takes one or two favourable responses to help pay the overheads. This is our experience with our ex-guests.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Your mailing list is one of your most valuable marketing weapons - you want to build it with people who show interest in your property...."
I agree. Now and again I send off a mailshot to get rid of unwanted weeks or to get people just to look at our website. Each time we've received enquiries/bookings from the mailshot. For example, I sent a mailshot saying that Feb half term (2006)and Easter Week was still free, got Feb half term booked and 8-15 April booked!

This mailshot is directed at people who have booked before and for people who have made an enquiries when the villa has been booked. We have had many emails stating that they were 'disappointed that the villa was booked, but we will keep your villa in mind for next year'...well these are the people you have to mail to jiggle their memories.

The best time to send a mailshot (with the best picture of your property embedded into the mail - not an attachment) is on a Monday morning when everyone has returned to work after a nice weeked and is miserable at being back at work!

I do have a sentence in the bottom of the mail asking people who do not want to be on the mailing list to type 'REMOVE' in the reply. So far (in the last 2 years), we've had 4 people asking us to remove them from the mailing list. We've actually had a few replies requesting us to notify them of any last minute discounts etc.
mitsi

Mailing list

Post by mitsi »

We created a xmas card with the property on the front and a xmassy theme and message and sent to all previous guests and enquirers offering that if they booked by the end of January they would get 10 % discount. We had one taker who stayed last year for two weeks, they booked for 3 weeks this year. Yesterday we heard from a previous guest that we hadn't heard from in nearly 3 years enquiring, so it was worth it for us.