Worth a go ?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mpprh

Worth a go ?

Post by mpprh »

Hi

Following on from the milliondollarpixel.com success, someone has started a similar scheme for travel websites.

travelpixel.net

They have a section for 20px X 20px free ads. Your tiny ad comes with a link & mouse hover text.

It seems to be attracting many surfers.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

This reminds me I bought a couple of domain names for this sort of scheme in an idle (drunk) moment. Not that I know how to set these pages up. Do you know if it is really easy to do?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

No real idea how easy it is, but for a few bucks, you can buy some scripts to get you going. Have a look at the choice of scripts on the RHS of this page:

milliondollarhomepage.ws
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Paul Carmel brought another similar one to our attention about 6 weeks ago - millionpixel-holiday-homes.co.uk in a thread called "Who is up for a bet?":viewtopic.php?t=1662

At first he didn't rate it, but then as the thread carried on, he decided to take a punt, and I have too - after all, it's only £10, and you never know! Since then there have been quite a few more new advertisers.

Haven't had any response, YET! But the way I see it, £10 for 2 years, if I get one booking it will have been worth it. (And if I don't, well, hey, it was a worth a try!)
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

I have my worries about these million dollar pixel sites.

I've no proof or anything but I can see Google classing these sites as spam and putting sites that appear on them further down search listings.

I have already heard of pixel sites appearing to have big websites advertising on them when they have been put there to get others to sign up.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a worrier but running the risk of Google kicking you down their search results, and paying for it, is a risk I wouldn't take.

All the best

Craig
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

thisfrenchlife wrote:I have my worries about these million dollar pixel sites.

I've no proof or anything but I can see Google classing these sites as spam and putting sites that appear on them further down search listings.

I have already heard of pixel sites appearing to have big websites advertising on them when they have been put there to get others to sign up.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a worrier but running the risk of Google kicking you down their search results, and paying for it, is a risk I wouldn't take.

All the best

Craig
Hi

Craig is talking about, what the SEO forums call, "bad neighbourhoods". It normally refers to link farms.

He may have a point.

Problem is ,no one knows how the algorithms work.

What I've noticed is that Yahoo v MSN v Google seem to be distancing themselves and No1 on google now has little relevance to No 1 on MSN, etc.

Interesting times ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think I will avoid it then. If I were Google I would downgrade these sites because there is nothing to stop the owner putting big respectable corporations on them to attract punters.

If people used MSN instead of Google I would be laughing all day long. On MSN I am on page 1 for mad phrases like 'provence rentals'. On Google I am on page 12 million.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

i wouldn't think G will penalise any site on there - after all if they did, many people could have their competitors sites listed and get them penalised!
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

Guys,

Thanks for the interest in TravelPixel, some interesting points raised here.

As far as Google penalising sites like ours, I doubt very much that will happen. As long as your site content has something to offer targeted surfers (in our case the extra features aswell as the main advertising space), then it is valid.

[Post edited in line with forum rules]

Thanks again (and sorry for the opportunistic post!) :D

David @ Travelpixel
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

apologies to admin for the previous post.

Signature updated.