Bookings Shuddering Halt

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

In Herefordshire, Shropshire and counties around we have seen a very similar number of actual stays per cottage this August as we had in August 2010. The number of bookings taken over August (mainly for later months) follows a very similar pattern.

Rents have not changed much.

Peak weeks for bookings made were the two middle weeks of August. For holidays actually taken, it was the three middle weeks of August. Enquiries for ultra short notice came on strong Bank holiday Monday and Tuesday, with the normal quota of people asking for cut-throat deals... but accompanied by others, more willing to offer a good rate.

Both bookings and holidays actually taken appear to be following similar patterns, May onwards, for 2010 and 2011. We do not have useful statistics before May 2010.

Advertising spend has slightly risen so this may have increased our bookings distorting the view of the strength of the market from this information. Patterns from year to year appear to be following quite closely but the impression is that the overall market has declined by as much as 20% hitting low and middle quality cottages by far the hardest. The market for good and top quality cottages priced right is the place to be.

Regional variations are hard to judge as we are only in one small area of the UK but we sense that being closer to the centre has benefited us.. further watering down our ability to have a measure of overall demand.

Some cottages, from local contacts, appear to have lost around 40% of their business over the last 2 - 3 years. The cottage market is fast becoming more professional; half-hearted cottage operations have had their day.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Definition of 2011 - short breaks and very late bookings.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

We let the end of August in the end, so pleased with that.

Bookings have been quiet of late, though. I'm thinking that when the kids get back to school in early September, hopefully people might start thinking about half term (if they haven't already), short breaks and Christmas/New Year.

Our first available vacancy now isn't until the end of October (half term week) so I'm hopeful that one will book.

November is two thirds booked for us, but December needs some improvement (only one short break and Christmas week booked so far).

If (and it's a big if when it comes to filling all the December short breaks, I imagine), we can let all our remaining vacancies between now and the end of the year, we would just hit my personal (perhaps over-ambitious) target of 90% occupancy for the year (our first full year).
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

apexblue wrote:Definition of 2011 - short breaks and very late bookings.
That sums it up for us. Just taken a booking for next week, and managed to fill August at the last minute without dropping to stupid prices despite attempts to beat us down. (One guest that tried that and failed is currently here, and already talking about booking again; it's an interesting reinforcement of the notion that if you believe you're offering something good, don't undersell - although it's been a nerve-wracking time.)
Windy

Post by Windy »

it's an interesting reinforcement of the notion that if you believe you're offering something good, don't undersell
Yup we've had a couple of weekend vacancies in the summer hols - first time ever, but I held out and did not discount - mainly because history has shown that it doesn't have much effect last minute unless you cut so deep you risk invasion by scrotes.

We are looking at about 7-10% voids to date on average so far tis season across 4 lodges. Probably 10-15% by the end of the year. I'm am happy enough with that as we are not the cheapest in the market.

I am sure we could be 100% booked with less income and more problems....