Pool heat exchangers and noise?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Jimbo

Pool heat exchangers and noise?

Post by Jimbo »

Len Deighton wrote:
In Mexico, an air conditioner is called a politician because it makes a lot of noise but doesn't work very well.

We've finally managed to install our pool heat exchanger after problems with sick plumbers and French/English equipment interfaces. Once fired up, the pool temperature soon rattled up to 28C and guests pronounced themselves delighted with the result (one guest even said that watching the exchanger being installed and commissioned was the highlight of his holiday!). However, it's a bit noisy when running. Noisy as in a hum rather than a clatter, so it's not unpleasant, but noise nevertheless that wasn't there before. And it's closest to our flagship big gite. The plumber is bullish - 'They want heat, they get noise. They want silence, they get cold'. We did buy a more expensive model (4K) because we'd been warned that cheaper exchangers could be noisier.

Am I being over-sensitive because it's new and will the noise soon meld into the background? Or should I consider screening with with a noise barrier? Or just jump in the pool and forget about it?

Jim
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Will covering it not render it less effective? Or have I misunderstood the heat exchanger principal. I ask because I am currently having a feasability study done for my house.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

They make noise, you get used to it. My neighbour uses the same system for heating her house and it is the same. Given the choice a cold pool or a background hum, I think most guests would opt for the latter.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

wallypott wrote:Will covering it not render it less effective?
Not cover, wally, but surround on two sides by a noise barrier that would deflect the sound away from the gite. Of course, this means that the noise will be concentrated towards the pool, so that might be worse. I photographed sophisticated noise barriers being installed on the Channel Tunnel Rail Link in the UK that reduces noise levels very effectively in sensitive areas when Eurostar is tanking past. But the noise is only deflected, not removed.

LV, given warm summer conditions, a pool up to temperature and an effective night blanket, roughly how many hours does your exchanger make noise during daylight hours?

Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jimbo wrote:
LV, given warm summer conditions, a pool up to temperature and an effective night blanket, roughly how many hours does your exchanger make noise during daylight hours?

Jim
I'm afraid given the very cool nights we have had this summer, my pool heater has been on pretty much 24/7, especially when the abri came from start of June to last week.
wendyj

Post by wendyj »

We have one for the heating and the pool - and in three years nobody has ever mentioned the noise.

It doesn't run all the time either... just when needed.
domino

Post by domino »

Hi Jim
None of our guests have been concerned about the noise of our heat exchanger but they have loved the heated pool :)
Judging by electric used I'd say ours has been on less than 12 hours per day overall.
Hope thats reassuring.