Would you give a discount?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
teba18

Would you give a discount?

Post by teba18 »

We've had an enquiry about next July/August. A family want to book 2 weeks but are also asking what discount we might give them if they booked 3 weeks - all in peak season. We're really not sure how to respond as so far we've always managed to fill these weeks anyway and feel a little reluctant to offer a reduction during this period. We'd be really interested to hear what any other LMH members might do. Thanks.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

If you feel confident that it will let anyway, and you don't mind the additional changeover, I would stand your ground and not give a discount.

You might like to discount a very modest sum if your workload is less because of one less changeover, and explain your reasoning (ie. the property will let anyway but as a gesture of goodwill because we'll have one less changeover... etc.)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I think Kendal's got it about right - additionally, you might want to try a prediction as to how bookings in your market are likely to go next year - are visitors rising or falling, are your main customer group in a strong economy or a weak one, what trends are you seeing so far - that sort of thing. And a bird in the hand and all that . . .

I guess I'd probably give them a discount of 10 to 12% pw for a 3 week stay, even in peak season.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Agree with KC. Assuming a 3 week booking works in your favour - "As our property is very popular and demand in August is always high, we are unable to offer a significant discount for a three week booking. However, to reflect the reduced overheads incurred with a let of three weeks, we can offer you a small reduction of xxx."
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Thanks for all your thoughts - we've decided to offer 10% and see if we can secure the week early.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

The only down side, unless you offer weekly cleaning, is you don't know what state the place will be left in after 3 weeks.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Quite right, Olivegrove, but if you offer a weekly "quick-clean" with the linen-change (which I would consider essential) it's easy to check.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We've had 3 weekers, never discounted and the place is dirtier than normal only because you can't ever get in there to do a proper clean because personal belongings are always scattered around.
Plus, if they cancel on you last minute then you have a longer period to try and sell, therefore any 3 weekers I ask for final balance earlier than normal.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mouse wrote: Plus, if they cancel on you last minute then you have a longer period to try and sell, therefore any 3 weekers I ask for final balance earlier than normal.

Mouse
x
Ow Mousie ,
That was also my concern, and I pmed Teba about it,and said the same, but not sure they know about the pm system as it hasnt been picked up, so Im soo glad you mentioned it.
[Ive always thought how sensible you are, so its soo good that we do have the same concerns]

Rosxx
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Thanks for your thoughts and for pm which raised things we hadn't considered ......think we must've been back of the queue when it comes to common sense! I picked it up too late and had already accepted the booking with our normal terms so fingers crossed they don't cancel at the last minute!
silvio

Post by silvio »

If they ask for a discount , i will ask them to make an offer

www.papayagarden-dianibeach.co.uk

www.dianibeach-affittocasavilla.com
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

I offer discounts if booked far enough in advance, for longer terms, or if booked at short notice. between 10-20%

Only had a couple of issues so far which didn't amount to much.

I have aslo entered into negotiations with some enquiries, but this is heavily dependant on the time of year.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.