Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Help finding Facebook badge for my site

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananacake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Help finding Facebook badge for my site Reply with quote

Hello, i would like to add a Facebook badge to my iowners website and have the badge link directly to my vacation rental Facebook page. I have been trying to find the code with no luck. Any idea where i can find it?

Many thanks!
gadgetmonster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BC

If you go to your Facebook page, click the 'Getting Started' option on the left hand menu. This will give you three options in the centre column of Facebook - the second is Add Like Box. If you click this you will see a new menu on the left with an option called Social Plugins. This contains several different plugins that you can use on websites.

Hope this helps
gam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your site is built using Wordpress so you need to look for a Wordpress plugin. When you find the one you like and have checked it is compatible with the Wordpress version you are using (that is the latest version I hope!), all you need to do is download and activate it, drag the widget into whatever widget area your Wordpress theme offers, open it, enter your facebook name and save. If you get stuck let me know and I'll talk you through it.

Alternatively you can just use the supplied facebook code but you'll then need to add that to the appropriate Wordpress php file. Not too hard to do if you understand how those files work but the downside is that when you update your Wordpress installation (which you must do for security reasons if nothing else), you'll lose the code and have to redo it - which is a drag.

EDIT: Actually, depending on your theme, you may also be able to add the facebook code to a text widget and place the text widget where you want/are able to. However, a plugin would be better as you can choose one which offers more than just facebook.

EDIT 2: Sorry - should pay more attention. I doubt you'll be able to do any of the above because you're with Iowners and I don't suppose they let you touch Wordpress files, add plugins or play around with widgets, do they?
How to build your own personal website from scratch