Recommended Sofa Bed

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
apexblue

Recommended Sofa Bed

Post by apexblue »

Are there any super comfortable sofa beds out there you can recommend please?

We have been asked to equip a studio apartment. What would be best?

1. Sofa bed

2. Bed hidden in the wall
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
pete

Post by pete »

we once bought a sofa bed from John Lewis, it is the most comfortable sofa, even now, but as a bed its awful,
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The sofa beds that I have experience of, would not stand up to every day use as a bed. I would go for a bed in the wall myself, as that is designed first and foremost for use as a bed.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I don't know if they are called the same thing or exist even in UK but the most comfortable sofa bed I have ever slept on was a Klik Klak. They split in half length wise and have a spring action for folding/opening.
This much said they only come in 140cm widths so are not very big.
I think Murphy beds are great if you have the place to put comfortable sitting as well so do you have space for a sofa or armchairs + the bed once opened?
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

I got one similar to this oak one on the left when I kitted out my studio in uk. It was incredibly comfortable as a bed and very comfortable as a sofa.

http://www.futoncompany.co.uk/sofa-beds ... -beds.html
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a Futon Company one at home, I find it a bit hard to sleep on, but we are on our second mattress now, and it is better than the first one. We tend to sleep on it when we are decorating upstairs, as hubby wheezes with the paint fumes. IN my apartment I have an IKEA Lycksele sofa-bed. Not bad as a sofa (although it doesn't have arms), and with the highest quality mattress they have available, comfortable as a bed. We slept on it for two weeks this summer, and it was fine.
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

Hi. I would suggest not to buy a bed hidden in the wall that drops down, as I have heard of small children being trapped in the bed and of a death. ...a sofa bed seems abetter option.
I wish I was on the golf course
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Our daughter had the Futon bed described above and it was excellent. In France we have a clic-clac also very good, we went for the superior mattress. Clic-clac can be difficult to put back to sofa position but this may be something to do with the heavier mattress.
Fleur
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Our Futon Company one is impossible for me to put back by myself. Much too heavy with a wooden frame and the thick mattress.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've got the Ektorp sofa bed in one gite and is is very comfortable, both as a sofa and a bed.
Sorry, I detest the click clack sofa beds - so horrible to sit on. Everything sort of slides off eventually. Including the person sitting on it.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

How about a day bed something like this

We have one (I think it's the one in the link) with a full size and depth single mattress mainly for our disabled guests. We had a cushion made up to fit along the backrest and a cover for the mattress in the same material - you can see ours here to get an idea of what it looks like. Feedback on the comfort has been very positive (depends on the mattress you buy really) and many guests probably don't even realise it's a bed. It's just a case of putting bottom sheet and pillows on and flinging a duvet over it.